First impressions of my DP Tuner - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

First impressions of my DP Tuner

Well I'm up in New Hampshire after my first road trip with the new DP-F5 and all I can say is I'm totally impressed. The trip up to NH is a mix of highway and single lane mountain roads so it was a good all around test. On the highway I found that it was taking much less pedal to get up to speed, then on the cruise control the egt's were about 50* less than before with boost between 4-5# at a 65mph cruise.

Where I'm really impressed was when I got up into the passes where the speed limit is down around 55. Before with the truck in 6th at that speed it would be making the "death knock", but now I can gently roll into it an pull away to pass traffic with the motor happliy humming along.

Once I got up close to the rents house the speed limit is down around 40 and I was noticing some lag issues, but i'm pretty sure it was a result of the ambient air temp. It was 19 outside and i was running into a 40mph headwind so the motor was pretty cool from the low cooling speed, I was seeing egt's under 350 while cruising at 40 and i'm normally in the 400-450 range so there was some cylinder cooling going on from the super cold intake air temp and not making any boost.

I'll have to see what the fuel mileage is when I get home and fill back up, but so far i've used less fuel than I normally would. Most of the driving was done in the 60t program with some short bursts in 80t just to mess around with. Overall I'm psyched now that the truck is a total different animal.

On a short rip on the highway last week I was able to really jump on it and keep into it for a while and this chip has transformed the truck completely. before i wouldn't normally tach past 2300 to shift cause there just wasn't much there without a trailer or something to load it up, make a couple runs up to 2800 before shifting into od and its amazing the roar of the motor and how the truck pulls now, it doesn't even sound like a diesel at that point, more like a pissed off big block in a race boat or something. Also did some foot to the floor in od on the 80t program and I can peg the 30# boost gauge now. I know its way out of the map range but that's still pretty impressive for a stock turbo/ats housing.

Oh and the new captain's chairs I ordered and finally got are SUPER nice. For the first time in never I was able to get out of the truck and feel like i'd been sitting in a lazy boy for 3 hours and not cramped up in my cab. I'll get some pics of the new seat when I get home.

well just my rant, happy easter everybody

1999.5 F-350 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4
2000 VW Jetta TDI

Both a little worked over

For us New England Guys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: First impressions of my DP Tuner

Nice post EMD. Where did you happen to find the capt. chairs, ebay?

2005 F-250
Tuning by-Gearhead Automotive & Innovative
Performance Truck Products
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Genius, when I drink

Sounds great! I know I'm happy with Jody's tunes as well. I'm sure you'll notice an improvement in fuel mileage to boot.

'03 F250 CC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

Man I hate it when you guys post about the DP tuner. Makes me want to switch to it from my TS more and more each time. Congrats on the new tuner though!!

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Jody has been SOOOOOO helpful to me. We have been trying to get my trans shift points just right, and he has helped me every step of the way!!! You made a great choice EMD...

By the way... nice truck!!! The Grill, headlights, and wheels make it look totally different than the old XL it started out as....

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked95 View Post
Nice post EMD. Where did you happen to find the capt. chairs, ebay?
I bought this seat but the picture doesn't so it justice. I'll have to take some pictures of it in the truck and post them up, its super comfey and I love driving my truck again.

Mr. Bob, I'm just about done with my mods for now I made a backrack and I'm picking it up monday from the powdercoater. Just have to wire it up and drop it on the truck then install my flush mount tool box and i'm done (for now anyways).

I'm going to have to put up some pics of the truck when its all done and finished. I'm getting a DIY stealth kit but that'll have to wait until the end of the summer to get put in.

My ATS intake finally shipped after a month of backorder so it'll be in on monday then goodbye K&N and then I'll be good to go, really looking forward trying the AFE dry filter

2000 VW Jetta TDI

For us New England Guys
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerTurbo7.3 View Post
Man I hate it when you guys post about the DP tuner. Makes me want to switch to it from my TS more and more each time. Congrats on the new tuner though!!
It's a world of diffrence my friend. Even with just a couple of tunes it can really make you smile.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 02:36 AM

EMD the seat link doesnt work.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 AM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
It's a world of diffrence my friend. Even with just a couple of tunes it can really make you smile.
Please dont remind me lol. I am thinking about switching sometime. After I get some tranny work done. Thats my focus as of now

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by totin_tools View Post
EMD the seat link doesnt work.
Here's the link direct
http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...truckseats.htm

2000 VW Jetta TDI

For us New England Guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode