Possible to fill a used block? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Possible to fill a used block?

i'll have the engine out of my truck again to replace injectors, install a girdle and seal some leaks. i was wondering if it was possible to fill the block without having to tear it down and having it hot tanked.

Instructions for Hardblock say that hot tanking is recommended, but doesnt say it is necessary. the part that worried me is that they say to hone or bore cylinders after it sets. does it deform the cylinder walls?

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang
Re: Possible to fill a used block?

if you have the heads off they deform so then when it gets filled it wont straighten back up when the heads are torqued. i wonder if you can do it w/ a plate bolted down like when they are normally bored.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Lovin Life...

Need to line hone it after filling to make certain crank bearings live, no?

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM
HP Junky

You're going to tear it down to align hone for the girdle anyways...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

i wasn't planning on it. i have talked with a few guys that have not had any issues with bolting on a girdle and not having it line honed. i don't like the idea of tearing it down and putting used bearings and rings back in. im not going to rebuild this motor unless it goes back in with billet rods and other high hp parts.

my main concern was the hard blok disfiguring the cylinders.

rough plan was:
bolt on girdle
pull heads, clean block
add hard block, torque head
repeat on other side
pull heads, drill water passages to heads
have heads surfaced if needed
bolt heads back down and torque.

if it works, it works. if it eats a bearing, then i guess i'll have to build a comp motor for it.

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 AM
<<< Power

A girdle is full build territory.

And a full build should start with new main bolts and go new from there up, or it's a waste of money.

Just saying.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I'm thinking a girdle will definitely help the stock bottom end stay together. the next set of parts should put me into the mid 600hp range, I'm just looking at options to help delay the need for a full build.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
A girdle is full build territory.

And a full build should start with new main bolts and go new from there up, or it's a waste of money.

Just saying.
I agree. And a set of billet rods.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang

i would think if you do it that way put the girdle on after you get the hard blok done. aint nothin wrong w/ forged rods.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Lovin Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post
You're going to tear it down to align hone for the girdle anyways...
I meant girdle....

Getting back to OP, has anyone just shoved a girdle on and called it good?

Given the precise nature of the rotating assembly, it seems it wouldn't be very happy.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode