Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any write ups for studs and springs?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bigjake0524 
#1 ·
Hey all I am doing some modifications and was wondering if there was any "how to's" for installing springs and studs in a 2000 f350 with out removing the engine. If there is no instructions to do this is there any special tools or equipment that I will need to make the job easier? Also what is the torque sequence for the studs if I am doing it without pulling the heads?

Thanks! I am hoping for 500 rwhp with stage 2's, 38r, adrenaline, and beans tunes... think its possible on stage 2's?

#2 ·
Prolly only gonna peak close to 450.

#3 ·
Found this write up:
Head Stud Install With Engine in Pics - Powerstroke Nation

This explains some but what is the torque sequence when you do this? Am I supposed to remove/install and torque one at a time for each stud?

Also does anyone have a special spring compresser that will help speed up the install that they would let me borrow/rent?

#5 ·
Yea I know I posted in that thread and did not get responses to some of my questions. Trust me I have used the search button.

#7 ·
for spring swaps
pull the glow plug for the cyclinder you are working on.
turn the engine over with a breaker bar to find TDC,
check it with a straight piece of coat hanger.
as far as the tool goes -
what I believe they are saying is most any valve spring tool will work, howeverif it looks like the pic below . you may need to remove the top star for some of the springs due to clearence issues. you would use a wrench to turn the handle once the star is gone.

#8 ·
:whs: thats the one we used ,but I do like the looks of this one if doing it alone

Attachments

#9 ·
JHill do you know where I can find that tool?

#11 ·
I posted that from one of the earlier threads. I do not have or found one yet but looks like it would be much easier if working alone. the star wheeled tool
works fine, but I had a helper. Will post if I come across one.

#12 ·
The one I have is almost the same as the pic in the above post. Where it differs is instead of a star wheel it the end of threaded section has a head for a socket or box wrench to fit on. I think I much prefer this to a star wheel. As strong as my hands and forearms are I woudl not want to have to crank that thing up and down 36 times for removal and install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.