Bent push rod - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Construction Babysitter

Bent push rod

Finally got the truck running after the blown head gasket. The culprit was a stretch stock head bolt at the #5 cylinder. I had the heads done including reseating the valves, new valve guides, new injector cups, re-used the stock valves and push rods, Comp 910 springs, and I believe heads were decked also. The heads checked out with no cracks or damage, and everything pressure tested good. Installed ARP's and also did a bunch of other maintenance items while the motor was out.

Got it running on Friday and by Monday, I had a bent push rod. At first I was running with the chip and new PCM in, but I took it out on Sunday because of some tuning issues so since Sunday it has been running with stock tuning on the stock PCM.

Monday I drove to work and everything was good. I went to get lunch on Monday and before I got 1 mile away, I had a bent rod. Bent rod was the for the intake valve on the #5 cylinder. Coindidence, I don't know. Did not keep track of which push rods came out of which holes, and because of that it is highly unlikely (but not impossible) that the pushrods that came out of the #5holes went back into the #5 holes.

The push rod was replaced and everything is fine now, but my question is this: Is there something I should be looking for that may of been a result of the blown head gasket that could bend push rods? I know I went to stiffer springs, but there are many many people who are running stock push rods with Comp 910 springs with no issues. If it happens again, and it is in a different location, I will definitely consider new push rods as maybe the stockers are not up to the task of working with the stiffer springs. If it happens at the #5 cylinder again, what, other than possibly the valve guides, should I look for?

Dave

99.5 F250 Lariat : 6" lift on 37" Toyo MT's, DP Tunes, Built Transmission, Airbags, AIH Delete, 38R, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, Sinister Regulated Return, IH bellowed up pipes, AFE Stage II, ISSPro Performax gauges, Scan Gauge, Casserly Stage I's, T-500 HPOP, Swamp's IDM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Banning Smut

Re: Bent push rod

I've always been told if you upgrade the springs you need to upgrade the pushrods.

When my HG went, my factory pushrods were in perfect condition. A couple of the pistons had slap marks though.

I did go back in with the high strength pushrods from DI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Hmmmm....tough break to have to take it apart again, Dave.

Not really knowing the stock parts, PDs advice makes sense with the heavier spring load you have now. I never had understood the need for higher rate springs (do these engines really float the valves at 33-3400 rpm??), but the rod would be doing much more work. I'd think that the lifter would have more stress on it also.

Somebody edumacate me...

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I really see no need for stronger push rods... but I may go that route if I start having issues.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

PD is right..........Its not entirely mandatory, but upgrading pushrods is the "safe" thing to do...........

For the 300$ for the added security.........Why not

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

Sorry to hear about that. That has to be extremely frustrating to just get the engine back in, and then bend a rod.

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Construction Babysitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblamp View Post
Sorry to hear about that. That has to be extremely frustrating to just get the engine back in, and then bend a rod.
Well, when it first happened, ya, I was really p$ssed because I thought I overlooked something and now blew the motor. I was very relieved to find out it was only a bent rod. However, I would prefer nothing go wrong.

Dave

99.5 F250 Lariat : 6" lift on 37" Toyo MT's, DP Tunes, Built Transmission, Airbags, AIH Delete, 38R, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, Sinister Regulated Return, IH bellowed up pipes, AFE Stage II, ISSPro Performax gauges, Scan Gauge, Casserly Stage I's, T-500 HPOP, Swamp's IDM
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Wooner, What were you doing when the rod bent? RPM's, boost pressure?
Seems like the culprit to bent push rods is valve to piston contact, you have large injectors and a small turbo = high drive pressure. I have a guage we can hook up to see what you have if you want. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

2000,CC,4x4,auto
some bolt on stuff from Bean & BTS
Some used and some home made stuff
463hp/991tq 10/01/05 mustang dyno 10k rollers
458hp/923tq 04/14/07 dynojet dyno
490hp/1025tq 03/08/08 mustang dyno 10k rollers
03/08/08 1st runs ever, 13.5 & 13.264 @ 100.65mph screwing up both launches, 7600#'s, #2 only
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Isn't it better to leave the stock push rods in there ..... a bent push rod is better then to damage something else??

Powerstrokindually had some issues with his... but that was because they were not properly seated in the motor. They were correct in the rocker arm but not below...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Construction Babysitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cota View Post
Wooner, What were you doing when the rod bent? RPM's, boost pressure?
Well that is what has me baffled. I had just started the truck and after it sat all morning and I immediately heard a very low rumble coming out of the air filter. I didn't think too much about it and thought maybe it would go away as the truck warmed up. Well, before I even got out of the parking lot, it was getting louder and by the time I got about 12 blocks away, it sounded like someone was beating on a drum under the hood. Never really even got up to operating temp. On the trip down to work that morning, I was in normal rush hour traffic, nothing over 50 mph and fairly low RPM's, and during trip I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I did beat up on the truck over the weekend, but I would have thought that if I bent the rod then, I would have noticed it earlier. Also, when it happened, I was running on stock tuning (the chip wasn't even in the truck), so I wouldn't think the big injectors and small turbo would really come into play. I took the chip out on Sunday and drove around all day on Sunday with the chip out before this happened. Not to say the injectors didn't play a role in the problem.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode