Forget backrack, check out my nice rack! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

Forget backrack, check out my nice rack!

Ok, so I've been back from the tug for 2 weeks now and I'm starting to run out of things to keep me busy so I decided to outfit my truck some more. I wanted a rack to mount my antenna's on and such but back racks are everywhere so why not build my own. So far I'm into it for $80: 2 pieces of 1.5" sced 40 pipe, Lights from napa and threaded rod and hardware to make the attachment system. I've got to find a shop this week that can powder coat it for me, then wire it up and put it on but so far I think its a good start. I'm going to get some white letters cut that say "nice rack" to put on the cross bar, just to make it my own.

Sorry for the grainy pics, all i had was the camera phone

1999.5 F-350 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4
2000 VW Jetta TDI

Both a little worked over

For us New England Guys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Go Away I'm Baitin

Send a message via AIM to fishinfool98
Re: Forget backrack, check out my nice rack!

looks good but you prob gonna hate hose lights
they arent that bright

06 CCLB SRW grey first mod was PSN sticker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailors may come
Sailors may go
Tis the engineer below
That makes it Suck, Push, Bang, and Blow

"Closed due to EXPLOSIVE diarrhea, will be back when the EXPLOSIONS are over!"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 AM
OBS junkie

Hey that looks good! I've thought about something like that for a light bar for my truck since I have stacks. Keep us updated on the progress.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Supercharged

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockrunner86

You can get replacement bulbs for that housing. They replace the whole lens etc. You can get some good light out of them with the replacement bulbs.

99.5 F-350 6-speed Daily Driver/Tow Rig.

Engine - Empire Diesel Performance

Air - Empire Diesel Performance Compounds Procharger Primary / Garrett 38R Secondary

Oil- Swamps Gen-3

Fuel - B-codes
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM

I would Line-x it, instead of powercoat. Doesn't look like that rack is for lumber. But my rack crossbars are all stainless steel. So I could leave them uncoated and they would not rust or chip because its raw stainless. Powercoat will just chip off if you put anything up on it. Some line-x places will repray your rack for free if it starts to peel from abuse.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

So just a quick update. Best friends wouldn't be best friends if they weren't bad influences from time to time. I got all the mill scale stripped and ready for paint today, we're sitting around and its millah time and my buddy goes, hey you should put tabs on that for strobe lights. Well an hour later its now got 2 mounting plates for mini rotators and I've got 2 lights on the way from A&W direct.

Got a price of about $150 for the powdercoat, I told them I'm building a prototype, any takers on a custom built truck rack

new pics, all naked steel ready for the oven

2000 VW Jetta TDI

For us New England Guys
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
Before you go to the powdercoater, I'd think about cutting off the mounts for those lights and welding on a horizontal tab with a 1/2" hole in it since that's pretty much the standard dimension for a stud-mount light. If you had a standard mount, it would be a lot easier to replace the light if/when you need to vs. having to find a clone of the lights you have to fit you light-specific mount setup.
I've got a set of these lights under my bumper for back up lights and they do the job. I'm just looking for something to throw a little extra light in the bed, not light up the parking lot. These lights are real popular up here in new england. You can walk into any NAPA and they'll have a basket of them sitting right next to the register, so getting a spare shouldn't be a problem

2000 VW Jetta TDI

For us New England Guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode