relpacement turbos and low end peformance - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

relpacement turbos and low end peformance

I see how replacement turbos and such perform on the drags and all out wideopen performance .. but how do they perform on everyday driving.

say the daily commute empty in 35~50 mph suburbia.
how does the garret , h2e and tn do ?

seems like most of my driving is open cruising etc.I assume almost any turbo with a chip will have superior takeoff etc..but then I read complaints about slow spool , low end lag etc. are these worse then stock turbos, or just not as peppy as others.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Re: relpacement turbos and low end peformance

The Garrett is awesome on spoolup and driveability.

I'd say the new Turbonetics will be too.

H2E is probably a little big to expect it to light right up in town.

In my experience the current TN drop in with the 1.0 housing is a tad laggy, never driven one with the .84

Hope that helps
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM
<----Colin Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post

In my experience the current TN drop in with the 1.0 housing is a tad laggy, never driven one with the .84

Hope that helps

My .84 lit hard with relative ease. Once it was at a pound or 2 and you stepped on it, boost was instant. The new BB should be much better. It should spool much faster.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:09 PM

cool
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:50 PM

I'll also add that my stock turbo with 1.0 housing is Turd with a capital T.

Seems like it takes forever to spool.

I can't wait for a ball bearing (of some sort )
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 07:11 PM
PSN Veteran

best bet for quick spool up is a ball bearing of some sort. right now my TN lights quickly, but there is some lag when compared to the stocker..

2002 F250
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 PM
PSN Veteran

My stock turbo with 1.0 housing spooled pretty darn quick, just slightly slower than the .84 housing. My ATS BB spooled really quick, off idle it was a little lagy, but nothing to cry over. I would look at the new Turbonetics BB or the Garrett BB, they are both better than the factory turbo.

2001 F-350 CC Drw, GT-4294/1.01, 200cc splits, AFE stage 2, custom fuel system, Rickson 19.5's, many more mods.
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Bleau May

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
I see how replacement turbos and such perform on the drags and all out wideopen performance .. but how do they perform on everyday driving.

say the daily commute empty in 35~50 mph suburbia.
how does the garret , h2e and tn do ?

seems like most of my driving is open cruising etc.I assume almost any turbo with a chip will have superior takeoff etc..but then I read complaints about slow spool , low end lag etc. are these worse then stock turbos, or just not as peppy as others.

Mike,
You are going to need to judge the reviews, driving history and altitude then compare for your needs.

Myself I love the H2E. The stock turbo spooled faster on the bottom but no one turbo will spool fast yet provide great top end performance and efficiency for every application.

02 Excursion foil delete and a Tapercore
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor

I like my Turbonetics .84 too. Mine is an everyday driver and tow's on weekends. It spools quick and works well with my mods. A 1.0 might be better with big sticks, but ask Gregrob about that.. I'm gonna do the BB upgrade when it is available.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Banned

A big factor in this subject is the level of performance you are actually after. If you are looking for sub 500rwhp, then without a shadow of a doubt, the Garrett GTP38R will do a very good job and is one of the absolute TOUGHEST little bastards around.

Lag......what lag? It does NOT exist with the GTP38R, never has, never will.

I have never had mine to surge on me (when intercooled) and I have run so many different injector combos, you can just take my word, that little guy will not surge, not the one I've got. I don't care what you've got for fuel. Everything between bone stock AD's to BD's and BI's, and I do mean Everything in between.

Once I ran out of air....I simply added another of the GT family, the GT4718.

I am sure that Holset, Turbonetics, HTT, as well as some others make wonderful chargers as well.

My experience in the less than or equal to 500rwhp zone with the GTP38R is somewhat extensive, and has always been extremely positive with regard to that charger.

JHMO.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode