true twins , what if q's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

true twins , what if q's

well as a day dreaming .
I was thinking about a true twin idea...not compounds.

For example the OEM setup puts down say 250 hp on one turbo.
a gt38r, h2e etc..and some b code injectors or mini-mes, some fuel line mods can hit hit 500 hp or more. so that is 250 ish a bank.

so i am thinking if you get enough air and fuel off each bank you could do it.

I would use the early 99 turbos cause they are relatively cheap. They don't surge and are smaller so should fit easier.
They also have built in waste gate to keep the turbo from over boosts.

It would start by coming off a single header , short section of pipe, with a flat stock flange adapter welded so you can mount a single turbo.
maybe a 3" DP. Seems like it would be cheaper, and easier to fit and work with smaller piping. Possibly tie the DP back together with an h pipe under the truck then maybe go stacks, or cobra style sides .

I think if you got a battery tray off an Isuzu NPR or got those gel batteries you could move them to the frame giving enough room for some sort of simple diy intakes for each turbo. for the initial test i would skip the ic. biut uses smaller pipesto the intakes, (early 99) or custom, but no larger then 3" to keep the pressure up.

But eventually, I am thinking either stack two smaller subie front mount ic's so each turbo gets one. Not sure if you would (or could) have the left bank turbo actually supply the air for the right bank... so the ic pipes wouldn't have to wrap back around.

and if that doesn't spool snatch a vortec or Paxton centrifuge super charger off a 5.0 stang, mount that where the second alternator would go and plumb that in for a boost kick. Or as a last resort you could get some sorta small car / bike turbo and go mini quad but basically two sets of small compounds...
preference to the supercharger as it would have no turbo lag, and boost off the line flat footed, ......almost.

seems low budget to me cept injectors , fuel mods, etc.
.......is this do-able or just a passing brain fart of the day notion.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Construction Babysitter

Re: true twins , what if q's

If you are using stock turbos, one hurdle would be getting oil to the journal bearings. Also, you may need a turbine housing smaller than a .84 to spin it since both banks were flowing thru it stock.

Dave

99.5 F250 Lariat : 6" lift on 37" Toyo MT's, DP Tunes, Built Transmission, Airbags, AIH Delete, 38R, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, Sinister Regulated Return, IH bellowed up pipes, AFE Stage II, ISSPro Performax gauges, Scan Gauge, Casserly Stage I's, T-500 HPOP, Swamp's IDM
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

where the stock turbo get the oil from originally?
I am thinking from a passage in the block through the pedistal?

if so, could the hole be tapped and a line added and similar setup on the new turbo flange.

that is where the supercharger steps in to spool...but then the whole budget idea gets blown
so it would have to step up to a performance max hp goal.

is there such a thing as a smaller style h2e type?
something off an import 4cylinder or v6 turbo diesel like a mistsu or nissan
I have seen all kinds of Turbo diesel mini's trucks in europe..crew cabs too.
the Us is so far behind the times in those it isn't funny.

2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

If your gonna go b codes, you wont have to worry about the spool.... a stocker cant handle 8 cylinders worth of b's but I bet 4 would be just fine....

also you might want to use the OBS turbo with the smaller housing as it is a T4 and is easier to make a mount for...(cause its flat, not round)
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM
PSN Veteran

DPP Power did something like this a while back. He used 2 stock OBS turbos. They were WAY too laggy. I don't know if he ever got around to putting the .84 exhuast housings on. He posted about it on TheDieselGarage if you want to look for it.

I really doubt that running a twin setup with two stock turbos will ever work good enough to be streetable. A twin compund setup (4 turbos) like you talked about could possibly be made to work with 2 stockers but the amount of fabrication, limited space available, and end cost will probably keep most people from attempting it.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk99 View Post
If your gonna go b codes, you wont have to worry about the spool.... a stocker cant handle 8 cylinders worth of b's but I bet 4 would be just fine....

also you might want to use the OBS turbo with the smaller housing as it is a T4 and is easier to make a mount for...(cause its flat, not round)
that is my thinking.

I think the oil could be handled with a separate sump if all else fails.

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler View Post
DPP Power did something like this a while back. He used 2 stock OBS turbos. They were WAY too laggy. I don't know if he ever got around to putting the .84 exhuast housings on. He posted about it on TheDieselGarage if you want to look for it.

I really doubt that running a twin setup with two stock turbos will ever work good enough to be streetable. A twin compund setup (4 turbos) like you talked about could possibly be made to work with 2 stockers but the amount of fabrication, limited space available, and end cost will probably keep most people from attempting it.
Where is Charles when we need him? I think you would be working in the least efficient part of the MAP with two singles. That is the advantage of compount turbos is that both can be kept in the efficient part of the MAP and provide all the air you need over a broad range of RPMs.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM

simple answer, it's easier to go compunds for reasons of efficiency and driveability.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 PM
PSN Veteran

You could get them to spool with a boost buddy no problem....The paralell design is hard to beat...Most compound guys hate me for this but this design has huge merit when it comes to flat out speed...Although both turbo's are responsible for the entire pressure ratio, with the advent of 2 compressor housings with ambeint air induction, you have effectively doubled the amount of air that can be brought in for compression. On a compound the first stage is responsible for the entire CFM air flow to the engine...It makes up for that by compounding at the 2nd stage but you still havent added any more air....Basically would you rather have 2 4" holes sucking in air or 1 5" hole sucking in air......CFM is your friend....
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM

Don't forget.....you need to calculate 1/2 the engine airflow, or use 222CI for sizing the turbos. Two factory turbos wont work, as they weren't sized for 222CI engines, but 444CI engines. To get them to spool like stock, they would need to be 50% smaller. So look for something designed for 3.6 liters (per bank).

Keep us posted on the progress, and what RPM they operate at. Don't forget the boost buddy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode