Fuel leak help! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Fuel leak help!

Ok so I got the ITP regulated return w/ bowl delete and I installed it last weekend. I had a few leaks that have all been addressed and fixed with one exception. The rear passenger side fitting is leaking still. I have had the fitting out at least 3 or 4 times now trying to get it to stop and have double wrapped it with yellow teflon tape AND permatex thread sealer.. It is still leaking and I have no idea what to do next or how to get it to stop.. I have snugged it up pretty tight but am afraid to "reef" on it and crack the head.

I can see the fitting with an inspection mirror and it is definitely leaking where the fitting screws in the rear port.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: Fuel leak help!

I hated that one too, I had the same problem with the DI kit. I just got brave and put one more turn on it and it stoped seeping. I would worry more about braking the fitting off then cracking the head.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Fuel leak help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
I hated that one too, I had the same problem with the DI kit. I just got brave and put one more turn on it and it stoped seeping. I would worry more about braking the fitting off then cracking the head.

Dan

Yep that is what mine is doing.. Just seeping enough to make a small puddle under the truck..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM

u have cranked down enuf on it, i would tighten one more time, if it continues, then i would repalce the fitting, maybe the fitting is damaged?

Last edited by Diezel Dawg; 03-10-2008 at 01:54 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Stupid Kid

Replace the fitting and that should cure your problem. If I ever have mine out for any reason I always replace the fitting with a new one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedieselkid View Post
Replace the fitting and that should cure your problem. If I ever have mine out for any reason I always replace the fitting with a new one.
At this point I am willing to try anything!

I am gonna try some Rectorseal 5 and see if that works too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:44 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I can recall of two posters that cracked the head by putting to much torque on that fitting. I would throw a new on in there before I went bionic on it.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Try a new fitting. I had one fitting on the fuel filter housing that would not seal no matter what I did. I put in new one and it quit leaking. Somtimes the fittings look just fine, but won't seal due to a flaw that can't be seen.

2001 F-350 CC Drw, GT-4294/1.01, 200cc splits, AFE stage 2, custom fuel system, Rickson 19.5's, many more mods.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 AM
PSN Newb

Are you sure it is the fitting at the head port. I had problems with the tube connector to the JIC side of the adapter on that side. I ended up cranking it down and it went away. On the driver side I could not get the fitting to stop leaking at the tube no matter how much I cranked it down. Dennis sent me a new tube and it solved it. I to was very scared of cracking the head. If you still have the plugs/check valves that were in there originally take a look at how far they were in there. If you arent going any deeper than taht you should have nothing to worry about. I used Loctite 545 at the suggestion of FN74 and it worked fine on that fitting and on the drivers side I have regular teflon tape with 2 wraps and no problems because I did not want to wait for the loctite to dry. Be sure to get all the fuel out if you are going to use loctite. Good luck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Yeah I'm sure its coming from the head. With the system pressurized, I can look with a mirror and see it weeping. I just pulled it out again and noticed my yellow teflon tape got bunched up and wasn't on the treads so thats my problem there. I scrapped the teflon and put on some pipe dope called "rectorseal 5" that I saw some were using.. I'm gonna let it setup overnight and hope that takes care of it.. If not, I'll try a new fitting tommorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode