this IS in our fuel, a case for better filtration - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

this IS in our fuel, a case for better filtration

Here is a picture of the lovely remnants of dino the dinosaur, dead fish, and probably some of your wifes bad cooking that IS being left in our fuel by the refineries. The gunk is what we call purifier cake, which is left in the bowl of a centrifugal purifier. I clean the purifier every 7 days and this crap is from processing about 30,000 gallons of #2 fuel for our 2 main engines. There is enough sludge to fill a coffee can, and that doesn't include the black tar that is left on the purifier discs that must be wiped off by hand.

Having this device allows us to run 2 micron racor filters and get about 50 hours before they have to be changed, versus running a 10 micron primary/2 micron secondary and have to change them every 10-15 hours.

Makes you want to run out and put a pre-pump filter on doesn't it? I know I want to

1999.5 F-350 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4
2000 VW Jetta TDI

Both a little worked over

For us New England Guys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: this IS in our fuel, a case for better filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_16_645_E5 View Post
Here is a picture of the lovely remnants of dino the dinosaur, dead fish, and probably some of your wifes bad cooking that IS being left in our fuel by the refineries. The gunk is what we call purifier cake, which is left in the bowl of a centrifugal purifier. I clean the purifier every 7 days and this crap is from processing about 30,000 gallons of #2 fuel for our 2 main engines. There is enough sludge to fill a coffee can, and that doesn't include the black tar that is left on the purifier discs that must be wiped off by hand.
I think the bunker fuel you folks use has not been filtered to the same degree as the fuel sold for OTR vehicles. My 2 micron pre-pump filter has been on my truck for well over 60000 miles and because of fuel recirculation has had way more 5000 gallons pass through it. No evidence of restriction either. However, I do agree that a good pre-pump filter is desirable.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Village Idiot

yum where is my spoon.....not
you should see what is in boat diesel at the docks in foreign countries.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:46 PM
OBS junkie

That's off road diesel too though ain't it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Sponsor

They use more fuel in a day than we do in a month.....He is in need of a hydocarbon fuel vessel, like what they use on the offshore oil riggs , a basic on highway filter set up is no way to go,, you could probably do OK with a manifold type set-up...I don't know what he is using system wise...Would be interesting to know....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
<==Drivin My Boat

the epa has mandated that we start using ULSD too, so unfortunately we do get the same stuff with the dye added to it. The only use for home heating oil any more is home heating oil, I asked one of the longshoremen at the refinery down in delaware city and he said there was a difference between #2H and #2 for combustion engines

Oh and at full hooked up our main engines bur 96 gallons per hour each. We change the racor when they reach 5"Hg vac, they can go more but it causes problems with the seals on the delivery pump

The fuel system is actually pretty basic. The boat has 2 4000 gallon day tanks. When we're running the fuel comes from the storage tanks through the purifier and into the day tanks. The purifier processes 200 gallons/hr so we can throttle it so that the tanks will stay at the same level when we're running. When we're shutdown we re-circ through the purifier just to remove any water that may have gotten into the day tanks, but the majority of the chit is removed during the transfer. The main engines have a crescent style gear pump and supplies fuel to the injectors at 28-30# when running at full speed. Its a regulated return type system that sends the extra fuel back to the tank to cool. there are 1000 series duplex racor filters pre-pump and duplex spin on filters post pump before the fuel rails. The engine uses standard unit type injectors, their just huge and there is a woodward mechanical governor that controls the fuel racks. Its pretty basic and the motors are completely mechanical. It might seem strange, but our fuel system is very similar to a PDS with a reg-retund and a pre-pump everything is just a lot bigger

Anybody that want's to the boat pic are here Rhea I Bouchard

1999.5 F-350 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4
2000 VW Jetta TDI

Both a little worked over

For us New England Guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode