next steps - towing performance - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

next steps - towing performance

I have been doing a bunch of reading over the last couple of weeks and I think I have the list for my next mods put together but would like some input. My main goal is a good smooth running truck with good towing power. I have 105K on the truck and will be doing a 3000+ mile trip with the camper (7.5K) this year in the Rockies. I will also be doing some preventive maintenance before the trip.

I have what is in my sig, plus will be adding the following which I either already have or have on order:
AFE stage II (now installed)
cooling mist water/meth injection
SP diesel EBPV exhaust brake
Roadmaster active suspension

My other ideas:
Turbomaster
HPX line
regulated return
CCV mod
pre-pump and in-tank mods

I will also be doing the following maintenance / preventive maintenance:
Amsoil in the tranny with new filter (flush and fill)
Front and rear diff fluid change and transfer case fluid
pull turbo and replace oil seals and seal for EBPV
new pads and rotors all around (have a warped rotor somewhere)

Trying to keep the additional stuff (including brakes) under $1K and will do all the labor myself.

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

2001 Excursion Preditor tuner, 4" Magna Flow exhaust, AFE II Dry-S, Front spring pack,
add a leaf in the rear, Rear Helwig, and Rancho 9000X all around, HPX, Reg Ret, IAH delete, SP exhaust brake, JW VB, Gauges: Boost, EGT, and tranny temp. Cooling mist EGT/boost, RAS

Waiting to install:
ITP prepump and intank

Last edited by sheboyganjohn; 03-05-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
<-- it's like that

Re: next steps - towing performance

Predator programmers run hotter EGT's than others. Towing in the Rockies is going to show you some EGT spikes like you've never seen before. Plus taking a water/meth mix and throwing it in with the Predator tuning probably wouldn't be the best idea IMO. Straight water would be ok for cooling purposes and EGT control when towing up mountain grades.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the input. I did not know that the preditor ran hotter then others. I will most likely tune it down a bit for the trip. I am currently running the 2nd hottest program. I will most likely drop it to he tow program to go across the plains and then go to the high altitude program for the mountains.

As for the water injection, my plan was either straight water or no more then 20% meth. Which ever gives the best cooling. I have seen a few posts with some data on which mix cools the best, I will just have to track them down again.

2001 Excursion Preditor tuner, 4" Magna Flow exhaust, AFE II Dry-S, Front spring pack,
add a leaf in the rear, Rear Helwig, and Rancho 9000X all around, HPX, Reg Ret, IAH delete, SP exhaust brake, JW VB, Gauges: Boost, EGT, and tranny temp. Cooling mist EGT/boost, RAS

Waiting to install:
ITP prepump and intank

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Village Idiot

with the turbo master that means your a stock turbo , so I would add a housing or ww
when you order the turbomaster, checkout tru-cool tranny cooler , 203 tstat, and possibly a 6.0 intercooler bob has the adaptor boots, hpx line, and coolant filter .... Dieselsite has all of them , bob should be able to set you up.
nothing major in the hp power dept but help everything else, ether last longer ,quieter , cooler etc...

A fluid damper can help some also in smoothing the engine out...tiny bit more mpg and hp, but more like 1mpg and 16hp....but smoother engines last longer. also a nice touch is the 08 rear diff cover and sythetic fluid...cooler temps slight mpg increase , i think they work on x's

You have an egt guage so just keep an eye on it...as far as the tunes.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 PM
PSN Local

Hello,
I had the predator programmer and I didn't notice it be any hotter than normal. I pull in the mountains out here as well. I never did try the high altitude program. I usually left it in the 60 tune in the mountains pulling w/o any problems all of our trailers empty are 6-7k w/o a load.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]01' F-350 CC,LB,SRW,4x4,BTS,Stealth Oil,Live DP Tuning,ITP fuel,530's,BB turbo w/1.15,4"turboback,DIY Tymar,Autometer's, & PMR's 449 hp/ 940 torque in 80 ecno tune @ Gams
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well I guess I will just have to play a bit while in the mountains, good excuse for a pit stop to dump a new tune.

As for the other suggestions, a new intercooler is a bit more then I want to do at this time. I forgot about the coolant filter and might have to add it to the list. I have not had any surge problems with the turbo so I think I will wait on the turbo work. I would rather upgrade the whole thing in a couple of years then adding to the stock one.

Waiting to install:
ITP prepump and intank
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Freedom is not free

I would also suggest to intercooler upgrade, if you can't get the DIIC then the 6.0 upgrade will do alot better than stock. I wish I had the bigger intercooler when I hit the rockies for the first time with my 5th wheeler. Holy high EGT's!! The bigger intercooler (I chose Diesel innovations) dropped my egt's about 150-200 degrees while towing. Huge difference the next year we took the 5th wheeler to the mountains.

Pre-pump & filter mods always a great upgrade to protect thos injectors. Like Pocket said - straight water if you are after cooler EGT's.

I had the predator programmer before T wildman's tunes. Mine ran hotter on the predator and alot less power than Tony's burns. That was a $375 dollar mistake......

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Braaaaaaaaaaaap

Personnaly I'd dump about half that stuff and add some hard upgrades to the trans. I tow into some pretty mean areas and after a year and a half of pulling I wasted the stock TC in my reman'd ford trans. I bought the truck used from wyoming and it had a gooseneck hitch installed... I can only take one guess as to what it's done all it's life Something else I'd add to the list is to replace every o-ring in the HPOS. The first few times I put a real load on my truck it started blowing o-rings out left and right Other than that... my truck is a pulling SOB and I'm afraid to mess with it any further.

'00 F350 CC LB 4wd 7.3L with stuff, haulin' a 40' trailer with toys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 AM
PSN Local

Do yourself a favor and LOOSE the predrtor. They run way higher egts than any other programmer I have ran. I could hit over 1500 degrees with my preditor. I ran it about half way on my trip and removed it to run it stock the rest of the way. Watch those egts.

2002 F350 DRW, 38r Turbo, Terminator T500, REG return fuel system, CTS Evo Custom tuned by Bill at Powerhungry Performance, bts converter, S&B intake, Snows Stage 3 Water/Meth. Mcculloch hids 6k.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
<- Sums it up

IMHO, the only reason for the water injection is to cool down bad tuning. I have run a few different tuners/chips out there and with DP tuner my EGT's were never a problem after that. I tow a fair bit, 10K trailer, everywhere from the flat lands of Cali to the hills of Cali, Canada, Montana, Wyoming.

I still have yet found the need to change the intercooler, I guess my combo just works that darn good in my truck. It will lower the EGT's but I don't have a need for lower EGT's. Again I think it is a function of good tuning.

I would think you need the exhaust brake you mentioned, AFE intake, auxiliary trans cooler, and some trans mods. I too have cooked factory transmissions, two to be exact. Towing in the hills with the TC unlocked and using an exhaust brake will kill a trans if it is not set up right.

Plan on the turbo mods after you put in an intake, that is when you will be able to actually hear the surge. You will most likely notice it with a load if you don't notice it solo already. The ATS housing will eliminate it.

Synthetic fluids are a good choice IMHO.

Happy towing

Early99 CC LWB 4X4
Updated B codes, Modded H2E, Big oil, half filled block, studded, John Wood 4R100. 232K miles
Tows like a champ!

"Damn Larry, he passed us like a freight train passing a hobo!"
--Lisa P.

Just sold to Larry
2-17-2019: 97 CC LWB 4X4 7.3 with full banks kit, John Wood E4OD. 139K miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode