Flow of fuel through the heads. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Flow of fuel through the heads

Ok guys I'm in a DIY mood again.

Gonna build myself a regulated return kit.

I already have the regulator I'm gonna use, and I ordered the pre pump mods from Dennis at ITP.

Gonna get a filter head from IH for the pre pump filter as well.

What is the best way to route it through the heads?

I'm thinking go in the back of the heads (1/8" NPT right?), out the front, into the regulator, and then return from the reg.

What's the best way to tie into the factory lines? I'm sure I can double clamp the return? what about the supply?

Also, is a 2 mic filter too restrictive for pre pump?
Thinking about only running one filter pre pump, but if a 2 mic is too restrictive for that I will run a 30 pre pump and 2 post.

I know I know, just buy the kit from Dennis or DI, but I don't have the cash scraped up for it and just wanna DIY in the mean time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Flow of fuel through the heads.

i run 30 mic pre, 2 or 3 mic post and feed the back of the heads. What are the pre pump mods?

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #3 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mostly what everybody calls the "hutch" mod or in tank/pre pump mods.

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/hutch.html

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

post #4 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:11 PM
PSN Veteran

dang that looks liek alot of work.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #5 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna find out.

I HATE FUEL KNOCK
post #6 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

You could go 5/16' compresion to tee the plumb the lines from each head to it. I don't know the size tubing your gonna use, but when I did my fuel experiment I used 5/16' tubing. I have a whole bunch of 1/8" to 5/16" flare fitttings.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #7 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Dan, exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Where do I get these fittings? 5/16's is the stock hard line size?
post #8 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
RDRCM

roosterdiesel built his own, send him a pm or he may chime in tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

2006 Almighty CumminGs
post #9 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 PM
USN-Retired

Greg,

I have a lot of thoughts on this and for now will only give you one for the pre-filter. I would only use a Dahl eirther 2 micron or 10 micron pre pump. IMHO it's the best filter water separator out there that has been proven both in the field and in Lab analysis to effective separate water from the fuel. Also, there can be significant air problems in using a filter not designed for a pre pump application. I can't go into the details because of potential copyright problems, but I sent you a link that has the majority of the unpublished memo that I actually have a copy of. Basically the end point was that a filter combo was filled with diesel submerged in a 55 gal drum and of course it sunk to the bottom. The filter was inverted with the element up and fuel was sent thru the filter and guess what. After a few minutes the filter came to the surface because of the air released by the filter.

Also our factory filter is a 2 micron and as designed does have and has been shown to remove some "free" air from the fuel and many filters are not designed or effective at the full flow rates of even our factory pumps. Our factory filter sure isn't.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, BTS
,3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow/Aeroturbine,203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,AMSOIL air/oil-bypass/rear end 75w-140 fluid,3/8" fuel sys w/10µ DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass,6 way dr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters, husky mats,5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges,coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets"
post #10 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
USN-Retired

I really don't like feeding the heads with any of the factory fittings especially with a full flow fuel system that most of the regulated systems use. Remember you're forcing fuel thru the follow two fittings (fuel check valves and fuel rail plug). The second link (last three photos in that album on page 2 of the album) shows the fuel rail plug including the part number where the fuel enters a banjo type fitting and is forced thru those holes and then out the hollow area inside the threads.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/37212014gltcTB

http://rides.webshots.com/album/30760583mYdyzWSgEp

I really, really like something like Ford_Forgoten has done and was similiar to what the pre 1998.5 E-series used and was a bleeder arrangement.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1029...0182ByvRiwOdoz

Of course outside of the Dahl Pre-Pump and a way to monitor potential pre pump air problems my fuel system is still stock from the pump forward.

Larry

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, BTS
,3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow/Aeroturbine,203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,AMSOIL air/oil-bypass/rear end 75w-140 fluid,3/8" fuel sys w/10µ DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass,6 way dr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters, husky mats,5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges,coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode