compound twins - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

compound twins

my question is what 2 turbos would you guys use if you were going with compound twin turbos.the turbos would need to be used for towing.any suggestion would be welcome.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Re: compound twins

Stop calling them twins, they are compounds, nothing TWIN about them. What kind of fueling would you be using? If you want to go with Garretts, 1.0 AR exhaust housing on a GT38R and a GT47 like charles did, or Turbonetics with a BB 1.0 drop in turbo and a 76 or 78 for the big one.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
you want some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie View Post
Stop calling them twins, they are compounds, nothing TWIN about them. What kind of fueling would you be using? If you want to go with Garretts, 1.0 AR exhaust housing on a GT38R and a GT47 like charles did, or Turbonetics with a BB 1.0 drop in turbo and a 76 or 78 for the big one.
Why not? Twins in parallel, or twins compounded? Still got two of em.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

i was thinking the same set up for like the dummins from bd or industrial injections turbos like phat shaft 62 for primary and k31 for secondary but im not to familiar with making my own compound turbos so thats why i ask for help.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorris View Post
Why not? Twins in parallel, or twins compounded? Still got two of em.
twins by definition is the same. compounds are different. twins = parallel, or similar to the set up on the 335i BMW (two small turbos on an I6 - each one connected to exhaust for 3cyl).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1snotrocket View Post
i was thinking the same set up for like the dummins from bd or industrial injections turbos like phat shaft 62 for primary and k31 for secondary but im not to familiar with making my own compound turbos so thats why i ask for help.
search some of Charles' posts he knows quite a bit about sizing. from what i understand you would not use a cummins set up since the displacement is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie View Post
a 76 or a 78 is too small for that application unless all you want is a set of small towing compounds, but not enough air for top end. you would probably want a Y2K or thumper - i have spoken at length with bunting about this

2002 F250
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Didn't he say towing?

I was planning on a TN BB and something like the Y2K

Stock
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

i was thinking about bwd's tow compounds but figured i would have more options with t4 flange turbos and better pricing.i want to do all the fab work my self.

post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
i was thinking about bwd's tow compounds but figured i would have more options with t4 flange turbos and better pricing.i want to do all the fab work my self.
There you go! The TN76 can be upgraded, at least on my 95, that is. My system is similar to there's, just on the OBS truck instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowDiesel
a 76 or a 78 is too small for that application unless all you want is a set of small towing compounds, but not enough air for top end. you would probably want a Y2K or thumper - i have spoken at length with bunting about this
I disagree, but it doesn't matter because towing is what the OP is asking for. My TN76 can be upgraded to a SuperT76 or a SuperT78.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
are you making your own pedestal? what is your plan for the high pressure turbo mount?

How much are u towing, and what injectors? Is your motor build based around running high boost? What wastegates are you running? What housing A/Rs are you using? What pressure ratios are you wanting?

Don't forget about oil lines, fittings, gaskets, etc-adds up quick.
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

still getting all the info needed to fab my own turbos.weight i tow is 17k would like about 60 psi range give or take a few psi,pedistal mount probably buy one if i could, if it has to be made i think my fabricator can do it.turbo mount will be fabricated by my fabricator.all though i might take the easy way and just buy bwd's kit. i was thinking a stage 3 from dynomite. but thats why i ask the questions so i can get the guys who have been there may want to help me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode