Syn + bypass filter = no oil change - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Syn + bypass filter = no oil change

I know there is a fair amount of argument on this subject and wether or not syn oils are better or not. The other day I had the oil changed in the truck and at $110 it got me thinking about this again. I have always ran Rotella, and change at 5000 miles per Blackstones recommendation. I had thought about doing the bypass filter and synthetic a while ago but it was cost prohibitive. With the price of oil skyrocketing, thats kinda changed.

So has anyone else thought about this. I don't drive my truck as much as I used to, but I can just imagine having to change the oil every month or every other month like I used to.

Whats the latest in bypass filters, and good synthetic oils? I think I may have to do this in my truck AND the wifes Grand Cherokee. I don't think I ever saw anything on doing this for the motorcycle. With the additives needed for the wet clutch this may not be an option, plus its only like 2 quarts of oil.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
<----Colin Banks

Re: Syn + bypass filter = no oil change

I have been tempted to get the FS2500 and continue to use rotella synthetic oil. I would send in a sample at 5000 to blackstone and then go on what they say from there. The initial cost is higher and the lab tests are factored in as well. I did the calculations a year or 2 ago and it was nearly a wash cost wise. That is why I have not really done it yet.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
PSN Mega Miler

If I thought I could go a good bit longer Id do it but Im afraid of getting to much fuel in my oil with long change intervals.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Honestly I see a lot of advantages in this. Assuming you can get away with not changing your oil, you have less waste, less oil changes, perhaps better oil, and with a bypass much cleaner oil. It just sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm not a big fan of the LAtimes, but there is some merit to what they say in this article. Reducing or eliminating oil changes would help a lot.
http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...0,883356.story

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
If I thought I could go a good bit longer Id do it but Im afraid of getting to much fuel in my oil with long change intervals.
My issue with extended drain intervals is the silicon contamination ie. dirt that builds up in the oil and I see a small acceleration increase in the wear metals that makes me change the oil out. I change the filters (full flow and bypass) at each change. The longest I have been able to go is 18K miles on Mobil Delvac 1. I switched to Schaeffers Supreme 9000 when I had the dual HPOP installed as it seems to shear the oil a bit more than a single HPOP. The Schaeffer's had resisted shearing in the 6.0 and it seems to hold up well in the dual HPOP 7.3. So far I have gone 12K miles on the Schaeffer. Contamination with soot, glycol, fuel etc has never been an issue with those drain intervals. Somebody needs to calculate the cost of all this extra filtration and analysis etc. It may be cheaper to change the oil at more frequent intervals with no analysis and no additional filtration and still minimize the expense and wear. BTW I am thinking that a single oil change once a year with about 12-14K miles/year might be perfect for the 5W40 oil I have chosen to run for it's easy starting in subzero temps.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

At 12K there may not be a financial advantage, but what about the environmental and economic advantage(think less oil dependency). If it's a wash, I'd rather run something that was made in a lab than something they pumped out of the ground in the middle easter or South American countries run by people who hate us.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt

Well there are better synthetic oils out there. So look around and try a few and stick with the one that seems to work best for you.

Look to Europe where the normal drain interval on most cars is 30k or 1 year. The Car manufactures dictate to the oil companies how they what the oil to be formulated and that make it a bit more spendy but it does the job.

I personally will continue to run Amsoil 5W30 synthetic diesel oil. It got my first engine all the way up to 130k and it popped after I switched to Delo. I doubt that was the full cause but have not doubt it contributed.

I run it 10K between changes with their Donaldson stratapor filters. With the cost of all oil products going up I might look @ extending the drain intervals to the 30K they recommend you run the oil. With OA of course.

Got Boost?

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4