Couple questions for AirDog owners - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Peon

Last edited by jvencius; 04-25-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Couple questions for AirDog owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
Are the filters on an AirDog lift pump AirDog-unique or are there other-brand filters that will cross-reference to the ones that come with an AirDog?

I wasn't able to find out yes/no but is there a heater option for AirDogs? I'd like to do the bowl-delete mod eventually but where I live and am likely to live in the forseeable future having a heat option would be nice.
The filters are interchangeable,with other brands , but be careful here, as you need the correct micron rating to protect that common rail, if you have one. A lot of companies rate a filter micron(x) this or micron(y) that, but that doent tell you the true performance of a filter, because we don't know if that micron is nominal or absolute rating. Most companies give you a nominal rating to make tyou feel like the filter is a higher performer than it really is. So they came up with an international Beta Rating for filtration of viscous fluids, and other fluids requiring filtration. YOu have a 100%, 75%, and a 50% RATING. sO A FILTER ACTUALLY HAS 3 MICRON RATINGs ACCORDING TO THE BETA RATING system. So for example if a filterr says that it is 30 micron, it means that is 100% of the time going to catch 30 mircon and larger particles, it can also catch 25 mircon and larger 75% of the time and maybe even 15 micron and larger 50% of the time, this would be it's nominal rating. Or it's lowest amount of filtration performance. wHILE FULL FLOW LUBE FILTERS ARE IN-EFFICIENT ANYWAY WE DON'T REALLY LOOK AT THE MICRON RATING, BUT THE FUEL FILTER HAS TO GET ATTENTION HERE. Most filter companies will post the absolute rating, which is what we want to look at, this is what tells us that that filter is actually going to catch all of those particle all the time. On a common rail you want a first pass filter with a absolute micron rating no smaller than 30 micron and the second pass filter(this is the final pass before th high output pump) you want a absolute filter rating of 2 micron. Now the Fass and the AirDog both do this, but be carfeul if you cross filters to another brand, because sometimes during the cross, it is just a will fit filter, meaning it will fit, but, the micron rating is different. I can tell you from experience that the only aftermarket filters that has the 2 micron absolute are Fleetguard and Donaldson, Donaldson actually builds the filter for everyone, and private labels it to other companies.Sorry to ramble, I had to go to school and learn all this crap so I thought I would at least pass it on and maybe somebody else could learn something.

Thanks

Mike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

the filters are able to be cross referenced

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
PSN Local

FWIW, the AirDog brouchure I have in my hads says that their filters are 'Stratapore Inside' filters. Stratapore is a trademark of Fleetguard, therefore Mr. Holmes, I submit to you that the filters AirDog uses are in fact.....FLEETGUARD!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Bill.

CURRENT VEHICLE:
2008 F350 4X4
107k miles
CrewCab Longbed
Lariat Blue w/gold
Camel leather interior
Sunroof
Supplemental heat

Some mods to come.

TOTAL LOSS 11/11/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F-250 XLT SuperCab Long Bed, 7.3, 4x4.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill1 View Post
FWIW, the AirDog brouchure I have in my hads says that their filters are 'Stratapore Inside' filters. Stratapore is a trademark of Fleetguard, therefore Mr. Holmes, I submit to you that the filters AirDog uses are in fact.....FLEETGUARD!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Bill.
Stratapore is built by Donaldson and liscensed to Fleetguard for commercial sale. If you hace a CR use the Fleetguard Brand or Donaldson.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Needs more hours per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
I wasn't able to find out yes/no but is there a heater option for AirDogs? I'd like to do the bowl-delete mod eventually but where I live and am likely to live in the forseeable future having a heat option would be nice.
How cold are the temps where you are or will be living? It's been down to the teens and single digits around here for the past couple years and I've had no form of fuel heater at all. So far, I have not had any problems that I'm aware of by not having a fuel heater. Of course, teens and single digits may not be anywhere near as cold as what you've got.

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Needs more hours per day

Well, with temps that cold, I can see how a fuel heater might be a good idea. Even treated fuel can gel up when it gets that cold. I'm sure you know that though.

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM
General Flunky

i found the X reference for the fleet guard filters, but it's on my laptop @ work and it'll be a thursday before i go back. if no one has posted by then i'll be glad to . I found the info in another Diesel fourm by chance. I made a BM but, i had to pay for access to view everything. luckly the #'s i was looking for were at the begining of the thread.

01 F-350 CC Lariat SB 4x4: 7.3, TYMAR , AutoMeter Lunar Gauges Boost,Pyro,Trans.,Galaxy 99v ,w/ Wilson 1000,Astatic 636, Optima Redtop,Lund Tonneau.

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
General Flunky

I thought I'd drop by before i left for the Dr. and see how the thread was progressing, and until i read your reply, It didn't dawn on me what i wrote.

01 F-350 CC Lariat SB 4x4: 7.3, TYMAR , AutoMeter Lunar Gauges Boost,Pyro,Trans.,Galaxy 99v ,w/ Wilson 1000,Astatic 636, Optima Redtop,Lund Tonneau.

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
General Flunky

I had to go by the office for a few items and while i was there i picked up my laptop and brought it home, cause i'm gonna be home another week or so .

these were the FLEETGUARD FILTER X-REFERENCE #'s

MAIN FILTER @ 7/8" X 14 thread INTERIOR FILTER STAMP 4872

5 MIC. FILTER FF 5613
7 MIC. FILTER FF 5587
10 MIC. FILTER FF 5617

WATER SEPERATOR FILTER

FLEET GUARD FS 19768

I have not verified these #'s to see if they fit. I began to reasearch these filters before i invested into this upgrade ( Airdog) to see if there was a alternate source of filters in the event i ever needed one immediatly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode