replacing pmr's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

replacing pmr's

i was considering replacing my pmr's with some crower billet rods so i can start making some power probably install head studs and girdle.just thought i would see what you guys think should i have the pistons rods and crank all rebalanced or just the pistons and rods.also my engine has 50k should i put new pistons in since im in their or just re-ring it. any input is helpful

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 AM

Re: replacing pmr's

IMO, if you are gonna have the engine that far apart just get a rebuild kit. You'll need to have the mainline honed after the stud/girdle install anyway.

Honing the mainline IS necessary, but many don't do it. You have to change the torque pattern with a girdle and studs change the block distortion to start with. The mainline will be anything but straight after that.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Oooo, White Lightning !

I was told to stay away from billet rods........... Depends on the power you wanna push, same with the girdle more so for the BIG power guys

69W perhaps you should point him in the right direction for a rebuild kit eh

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

why the hell would you want to stay away from billet rods??? only thing that will reliably hold to gether OVER 450-500 Hp.....

I am gonna skimp on a few things when I do my build just so I can do billets....and I am doing them strictly for piece of mind! I dont plan on having more power than forged could handle, but with 450K on them, I am not gonna take a chance!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Talking Re: replacing pmr's

#1-First and foremost- if you're installing a girdle then you'll need to have the block machined WITH THE GIRDLE INSTALLED per WOP instructions.
#2- Not completely sure if the block has to be machined to install billets BUT the oil jets WILL HAVE TO BE MODIFIED.

Head studs are fine

Current- 2006 Harley Davidson Edition F250 6.0L w/a "BUILT" engine, Unfortunately mis-assembled and installed by CenTex Diesel and a NAPD Heavy Hauler RACE SERIES Transmission
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous- 2001 Platinum Edition F250 7.3L
SCT LW and FICM tuning-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Regulated Return fuel kits-

ENOUGH SAID
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Subject Matter Expert

"will have to be modified" such as?

Stock
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

Cause billet rods have been used for racing.......As in the are taken apart after a few runs.......May be different because those are billet aluminum, the ones we would use are steel right.........And Ive herd of billet rods breaking........Still we need a 1200$ alternative to factory forged or billet........ vendors

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

well guys i just want to get about 550 hp or so out of my truck so i dont have to be floored when pulling my trailer up the long grades. so i figured the safe way to do the bottom end was with a girdle if i don't need it then i wont buy it, but rods i am not going to spare the expense.i also was leaning toward installing compound twin turbos to help keep exhaust temps down and i did plan on head studs.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
Cause billet rods have been used for racing.......As in the are taken apart after a few runs.......May be different because those are billet aluminum, the ones we would use are steel right.........And Ive herd of billet rods breaking........Still we need a 1200$ alternative to factory forged or billet........ vendors
Crower billet rods have no failures to date in a 7.3 PowerStroke that I've heard about, and there have been very failures really of any billet rods in the 7.3's (but there have been some).

You can run Crowers with no issues and you don't need to take anything apart after a few runs, unless those runs happen to equal 300k miles or more.

If you don't want more than 475-500hp then factory forged rods will work just fine. But with OEM rods you get OEM quality. Some OEM forged rods are on the tight side of the allowable tolerance, and some are not and will fail at less than 500hp. You have to decide how much power you want to make and how much you are willing to throw at stock parts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd class citizen

what due you guys think about wide open performance's short block that has cunningham rod's,maingirdle,headstuds and new pistons.i was considering that option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode