Don't worry about the rods, watch the block!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Savings?? what?

Don't worry about the rods, watch the block!!

So after having nothing but problem after problem since my last engine build exactly 1 year and 33,000 miles ago, I am at it again. The final straw was coolant in my oil. Probably a blown headgasket. But either way, EVERYTHING was getting tore down and inspected. So today I found out the block had several cracks in it. Boat Anchor. I had only dyno'd at 457, and used no drugs. My power combo was Swamps injectors, Gen3 big oil, a GTP38, OEM forged rods and a 99 block. So now what I have to wonder is can the block handle even 450hp for a length of time without help? Keeping in mind easily 10,000 miles of those 30 was towing a 12,000lb trailer.

So as I gaze into my crystal ball I see a main girdle, fire rings and maybe rods. And another few months of driving my 66 jeep.

Late 1999 F-250 CC, 4x4, SB. 05 nose, Diff, suspension and badges,dynomatted. Revtek2.5 inch lift, Detroit true-trac Red-head steering, AATCO Trans, PI TC, Crowers, Girdle and Fire-Rings, ARP Studs, Blueprinted, DI Camshaft and intercooler, Cut Mahle LC pistons, Swamps Gen3& hybrids, Tubos??, MBRP 4",DP tuner, VEGISTROKE, More $$tuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish
Re: Don't worry about the rods, watch the block!!

would it be possible to be caused by any side effects of your WVO system?

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

sh!t, I hope they can hold together.....I want just about the same power and I pull 16-17K alot..... damn!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Savings?? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfishman17 View Post
would it be possible to be caused by any side effects of your WVO system?

That would be a pretty far stretch. Just about anything else I could see, Injectors, Scored cylinder walls, gummed up valves, but not sure how WVO can cause the block to crack at the main webs.

Late 1999 F-250 CC, 4x4, SB. 05 nose, Diff, suspension and badges,dynomatted. Revtek2.5 inch lift, Detroit true-trac Red-head steering, AATCO Trans, PI TC, Crowers, Girdle and Fire-Rings, ARP Studs, Blueprinted, DI Camshaft and intercooler, Cut Mahle LC pistons, Swamps Gen3& hybrids, Tubos??, MBRP 4",DP tuner, VEGISTROKE, More $$tuff
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Banned

Well mine did that much for years. And I towed about every other weekend or so for those years.

One reason why my block is slightly filled.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Genius, when I drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well mine did that much for years. And I towed about every other weekend or so for those years.

One reason why my block is slightly filled.

Is that like being kinda pregnant

'03 F250 CC

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Oooo, White Lightning !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_dawg View Post
Is that like being kinda pregnant
.........I hope that it can hold more Im Shooting for 450-500HP.......If this doesnt work

Cummins !!!!!!!

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Sorry to hear that Jason!!!

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 AM

I'll keep saying this because I like sounding like a broken record.

The block and crank and PLENTY strong if the engine is put together properly and there aren' casting flaws, etc.

If the blocks and cranks were as bad as everything claims Double overtime would not be able to have run two seasons now I think on the same crank and block and heads. There are also several HEUI powered 7.3's that are holding up at big HP just fine.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Savings?? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69W900A View Post
I'll keep saying this because I like sounding like a broken record.

The block and crank and PLENTY strong if the engine is put together properly and there aren' casting flaws, etc.

If the blocks and cranks were as bad as everything claims Double overtime would not be able to have run two seasons now I think on the same crank and block and heads. There are also several HEUI powered 7.3's that are holding up at big HP just fine.
Very Good Point, thanks for bringing that up. Helps me feel a little better about dumping a bunch of money into this thing. I am considering having the new block completly deburred though. What DO has done is enough to keep me motivated. Actually got to see the truck in person in Houston. And asked about 5,000 questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode