Crating and storage of used motor? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Crating and storage of used motor?

I have just purchased a low mileage 2000 long block that I will move all my upgrades to in order to have forged metal rods. I need some advice on how to prep the engine for storage and crating. It will be Spring before I can get this into the truck and I do not want to have it deteriorate while sitting in my garage. Fluids have been drained prior to extraction. Any other suggestions are welcome!

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

Re: Crating and storage of used motor?

i think youll be allright with all the fluids removed you may want to take the injectors out and spray a bit of wd -40 in the bores to coat the cylinders with a light oil so they dont rust and as well as to coat the valves for rust.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

yea lots of WD40 in the cylinders

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Oooo, White Lightning !

I have a bare block in my garage and my dad sprays it with wd-40 then covers it with a garbage bag.

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Village Idiot

I'd spray the whole thing..cept anything rubber.
trash bags can be good and bad, they trap moisture .
hence the spray whole thing idea.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
All done now

Long term. Completely fill the block with oil and cover all holes to keep the mud dobbers out.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
<==Drivin My Boat

we use fogging oil to coat outboard for winter storage. It leaves a nice coat of oil over everything and foams so it gets into all the little nooks and crannies. It does a great job of preventing rust but will come right off with a light soak of engine block cleaner and a hose.

stuff also works great for sticky hood latches. mines gets a bath of it about every 6 months when it starts to stick and the stuff frees it right up

1999.5 F-350 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4
2000 VW Jetta TDI

Both a little worked over

For us New England Guys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_16_645_E5 View Post
we use fogging oil to coat outboard for winter storage. It leaves a nice coat of oil over everything and foams so it gets into all the little nooks and crannies. It does a great job of preventing rust but will come right off with a light soak of engine block cleaner and a hose.

stuff also works great for sticky hood latches. mines gets a bath of it about every 6 months when it starts to stick and the stuff frees it right up

This may be a dumb question but what's fogging oil?

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 AM

Fill it up with ATF all the way to the top for long term storage. For the winter I'd just pull the GP or injectors and fill the cylinder with ATF. Fog the outside and loosly cover the engine. I've got a dozen or so engines stored this way.

Had a BCIII on the self for 3 years, pulled it out, washed it off, bared it over, primed it and fired it. Went in the truck an hour later and on the road the next day.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Starting Over

What about leaving the motor sitting on the pan?My FIL says you have to block it up dampner to fly wheel with blocks.The weight will crush the pickup tube and pan.

Me personally i say BS but he is my FIL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode