BPV on a Diesel Engine will it work? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

BPV on a Diesel Engine will it work?

Howdy Ya'll, heres a good question for you big turbo guys, I run a manual behind my 7.3 and was wondering if a BPV (boost pressure valve) will help when i shift. I pull on an average of 40,000 lbs and when up shifting you go from 25lbs to zero and takes it forever to spool back up. Im pretty sure this slow spool up is because the engine is at a higher RPM and using the air but when shifting up the engine drops RPM and doesn't need the air so thus the air is going back through the turbo causing it to slow down. The BPV helps this on a gas engine but a gas engine has vacuum to open the BPV. Does a diesel make any vacuum when there is no boost present? Or would a pop off valve be better or even work? I thought a BPV would be better because it keeps the air in the system by putting it back in front of the turbo via the intake.

I called up Vortech and they have a valve that is capable of handling over 10psi but weren't sure on how much it will handle. The tech guy said its for there race applications Heres there BPV...

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: BPV on a Diesel Engine will it work?

I do not think a valve is going to help. What you need is a really fast spooling turbo because there is no way to prevent the big boost loss as you row up through the gears. Check out some of Charles's posts on his twin turbos. Now that boosts almost instantaneously and he has a manual tranny and some videos. Even though his boost drops as he goes up through the gears, he still has good power.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Please tell me you aren't pulling 40k with a Superduty. Don't let the name fool you, it isn't that SUPER...

2002 F350 Reg Cab,4x4,7.3,6Spd.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgeek View Post
Please tell me you aren't pulling 40k with a Superduty. Don't let the name fool you, it isn't that SUPER...
I was thinking the same thing.

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

A ball bearing turbo, such as the Garrett GTP38r will help with that.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned

The gassers have a BOV because they have a throttle plate that closes in the intake track.

You do not. You don't need one.

The reason it doesn't spool up is because when your rpm are too low you don't have enough exhaust gas drive to physically spin the compressor fast enough to build adequate boost. And if you are taking it up to over 3k rpm before the shift and it still falls on its face you've got bigger problems anyway.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

Quote:

Ive hit scales at over 40k with my work F350 a number of times, but 40k of just load is pretty high

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No I own a OBS truck. Don't really like the new body style of 98 and up. I think its more fun to pull with a 11 year old truck.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCowboy View Post
No I own a OBS truck. Don't really like the new body style of 98 and up. I think its more fun to pull with a 11 year old truck.
Glad to know my family isn't on the road around you when you are towing 40k pounds with a 1 ton truck. I have towed that much weight to the co-op before, but would never think about rolling down the freeway, let alone having to stop. They make class 8 trucks for a reason...

2002 F350 Reg Cab,4x4,7.3,6Spd.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The gassers have a BOV because they have a throttle plate that closes in the intake track.
I wasn't talking about a Blow Off Valve this is a Boost Pressure Valve. This style lets the excess boost blow back into the intake thus keeping the turbo spooled. A Blow Off Valve just lets the excess air blow off into the atmosphere.

So heres another question then when I get ready to shift and all this boost is present where does all that air go when you shift? Pressure is always trying to find the easy way out right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode