Weak turbo?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Firefighter/EMT

Weak turbo??

Hey guys im trying to figure out if my turbo is going bad or is bad...my truck has 218k on the stock turbo. When i put my DP tuner in about 2 months ago i could hit around 20psi max on the highest setting, today i tried a WOT run in my DD tune which is 80hp and could only hit just under 15psi. I dont know if this is normal or if its weak, another thing i should mention is that when it gets nice and warm it will puff some bluish white smoke for a couple seconds when i let off i do have the ccv done so im guessing this is oil from the turbo being burnt off? any help would be great!

Jeff

02 F250 6 speed with 270k- SOLD
05 F350 auto with 94k, 4in MBRP with 6in tip, updated fuel pressure spring, and auto meter fuel press, boost, trans, and pyro guages, and tuning by vivian and PHP's FICM tuner currently running hercules! NO STUDS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

14.1 @ 95 is the best so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Weak turbo??

check for boost leaks first.

Pull the intake boot off and check turbo for shaft play

Then come ask questions

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Firefighter/EMT

I already did a leak test with an air hose but i have not checked shaft play...should there be any at all?

05 F350 auto with 94k, 4in MBRP with 6in tip, updated fuel pressure spring, and auto meter fuel press, boost, trans, and pyro guages, and tuning by vivian and PHP's FICM tuner currently running hercules! NO STUDS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 AM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH OIL BURNER View Post
I already did a leak test with an air hose but i have not checked shaft play...should there be any at all?
Yes,but very little at all.There should be more in and out than up and down.The oil will center the journal bearings while the motor is runnin.
Check for leaks in all of your boots and Y-pipe.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 AM
PSN Veteran

What are your EGTS running. Do you have a boost fooler. Have you pulled your codes yet? Look for a low boost / no boost code. Could be you MAP is bad. Have you wired your waste gate shut to ensure it is not the cause. Of course as has been said check for play any more then the slightest bit is a sign things are going south.

The blueish white smoke could more likely be worn injectors/o-rings as you do have over 200K on it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Firefighter/EMT

My EGTs are about 500 to 700 with normal driving and i can get them to 950 if i really push it. (my probe is in my down pipe ) I will check for shaft play and i have been thinking of doing at least injector O-rings. I have a bad oil leak which looks like its coming from the rear main or oil pan or maybe even the turbo. i will be pulling the motor one of these weekends to take a look. Im going to see if a fuel injector place around here will rebuild the ones i got for not alot of money but we will see....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 AM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

I doubt your rear main is leaking..Check you turbo pedistal o-rings,oil rails and your hpop fittings and/or seal.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Firefighter/EMT

I am glad you said that because i have heard from a few people now that the rear main seals rarely leak on these. If its the turbo, which i can check without pulling the motor it would save me alot of time and money...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 AM
PSN Veteran

That would be my bet. Clean up the entire valley etc and get it running and see where its coming from. I ahve the same issue but its not bad a few drops when its parked.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
dinnerbooter treasurer

If it is a leaking hpop line that may explain some of your low boost numbers.

93 F350 Gasser
03 F250 6.0

dinnerbooter #3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode