How not to sell a motor..death of a 7.3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

How not to sell a motor..death of a 7.3

Heres the short vids I took with my camera all rolled into one, you can see how it goes from ok to bad to worse. It had no oil, we put in 10+ liters and took 3 batteries before it cranked fast enough to start. Enjoy.

Early 99' F-250 Lariat LB 7.3
38r, 238/100 hybrids, head and main studs, 910's, DI pushrods, ported heads, matt's stage 1 cam, 0.030" over, forged rods, fully balanced, RR, 6637, 4" exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: How not to sell a motor..death of a 7.3

Did it ever crank over again? Or did it lock up? Were you trying to save that motor?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Always unhook the ic before you start a rolled truck.

And turn it over by hand first to make sure it isnt hydrolocked.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore20017.3 View Post
Always unhook the ic before you start a rolled truck.
Is that really what happened? Makes sense...

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
PSN Veteran

They run awesome off oil, so awesome it will wind until it blows....you could only stop it by blocking off the air, that is if you were brave enough to get that close.

This is why they have an air shutoff rule in pulling! Blow the turbo and all the oil goes into the engine and this happens.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I don't think there was any saving that motor the damage was already done, I told the guy about the intercooler and he wasnt to worried about it. He figured this thing would fire right up like nothing so I couldn't do too much. I did turn it over by hand and it felt ok before he cranked it.

I know it sucked for him, me too actually but I couldn't help but laugh when he got out with his key in hand looking at me like wtf??? as it started to death rev. He had a laugh too aswell and couldn't believe what just happend.

38r, 238/100 hybrids, head and main studs, 910's, DI pushrods, ported heads, matt's stage 1 cam, 0.030" over, forged rods, fully balanced, RR, 6637, 4" exhaust
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 PM
PSN Local

a clip board, cinder block, whatever over the intake tube could have avoided that.

micky
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Need a ride.

Being a fanatic with these motors I couldn't help being a little sad watching this vid, I'm lowering my Ford flag to half staff now...

03 F-250 7.3 XLT CC SB Auto 38R, S-B Intake, 4 inch MBRP Duals, Regulated Return, J Wood VB, DP Tuner, Isspros 3 Pillar, Terminator Scan Gauge, DS Coolant Filter, HPX
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
PSN Local

Doh.....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
a clip board, cinder block, whatever over the intake tube could have avoided that.

micky

At first I thought buddy was trying to give it the full pull clean out because I couldnt see him from where I was (he was a little ruff looking and figured its his way of doing things) but then I realized what was happening and I scrambled to unhook the batteries because they were on by the vise grip (cut by firefighters), then when that failed I knew what was happening and whipped out my camera for the conclusion. Thats why the video is partial at the end. It happened so fast and was very loud and intimidating to go near, tough to say what you would do until your the one there. Plugging the intake would have done it but it never crossed my mind at the time, as you can see before the last video there was cylinder damage before the end.

Also oil was pouring out the back of the motor and running down the passenger side up pipe, but this was new oil and not old so it was being pump out from somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode