DIY regulated return question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

DIY regulated return question

Anyone know if I can tie the return line from the regulator to the test port on the factory fuel bowl return side?

01 f250 scsb Work Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:48 AM
All done now

Re: DIY regulated return question

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverkickn View Post
Anyone know if I can tie the return line from the regulator to the test port on the factory fuel bowl return side?
Just remove/gut the factory regulator, run the return line from the factory spot in the bowl, straight to the regulator, to the return line to the tank.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks for the response Airsley but I dont follow. Im wondering if I can connect the return port on a aeromotive regulator to the plugged port on the fuel bowl. I wanted to leave the factory regulator in place if possible. Referring to the plug next to the factory regulator on the fuel bowl.

Thanks

01 f250 scsb Work Truck

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Why leave the factory regulator? It sounds to me like you are not understanding a regulated return. Break it down tank, pump, filter, injectors regulator tank. It sounds like you are asking about putting the regulator before the injectors.

2000 F350 CC SB Lariate
Afew exstras
All brought together by Tony Wildman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZYD View Post
Why leave the factory regulator? It sounds to me like you are not understanding a regulated return. Break it down tank, pump, filter, injectors regulator tank. It sounds like you are asking about putting the regulator before the injectors.

Fuel comes from the pump to the bowl. From the bowl to both heads. From the bowl, through the regulator, back to the tank. Are you planning on adding a second return line?

Personally, I am going to change mine a bit. From the bowl to the back of both heads. From the front of both heads to the regulator, from the regulator into the factory return line and back to the tank. I will plug the factory regulator on the fuel bowl. I also plan on running it through a pre pump filter, and through a pair of Super Duty pumps set up in parallel.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:

I think I get the concept. In fact I am only doing a rr not a complete fuel system so we can forget about the tank, pump, after market filters and such.

I am also not talking about regulating the supply as you have stated. I understand that would not make sense. I am building a rr using an aeromotive reg and crimped hose. I will feed the heads from the supply side of the filter bowl and return the fuel path into the aeromotive reg from the opposite end of the heads. The question is instead of having to build a tee fitting to connect my aftermarket reg to the factory fuel return line, can I connect it to the plugged port on the return side of the filter bowl and leave the factory regulator in place? Unless I am missing something that method would still give me a flow through design and regulate the pressure in the heads.

Am I off base here?

01 f250 scsb Work Truck
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:55 PM
PSN Veteran

I am trying to visulize.
It seems you are looking at it diferently than me.
If it were me doing this. I would gut the factory regulator cut the return line from the bowl install the regulator inline and be done. I am not understanding What T you speak of.

2000 F350 CC SB Lariate
Afew exstras

Dale

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
I am trying to visulize.
It seems you are looking at it diferently than me.
If it were me doing this. I would gut the factory regulator cut the return line from the bowl install the regulator inline and be done. I am not understanding What T you speak of.
I am trying to keep the factory lines intact so that it can be returned to stock later if need be.

Just wondering if there would be a problem with connecting my return off the aftermarket reg to the plugged port on the return side of the bowl to avoid havin to cut the factory return line and clamp on my after market return hose.

I am trying to make sense here but I think i might be speaking dorkfish. Anyone know what I am trying to say?

01 f250 scsb Work Truck
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Ok I think i see. I dont see why not you just have to figure out how to seal off the factory return.

2000 F350 CC SB Lariate
Afew exstras

Dale

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM
PSN Pretender

Just get a regulator block of plate, cut the end of the return line off, and tap your regulator outlet into the factory return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode