Napa filter and high Intake air temps? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Napa filter and high Intake air temps?

I know this filter flows more air but being a open element under the hood it takes the hot air from under the hood. I was towing this weekend and it was 80 deg out side temp the air intake sensor was reading 96deg and it traffic it was over 110deg. Is this killing power because the intake charge is hot air. I know my gas truck suffered when the intake air got to hot. In the winter months this is not a big deal but summer its getting pretty hot.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
All done now

Re: Napa filter and high Intake air temps?

Not hurting it at all.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Hoosier daddy!

To help promote more cool(ambient) air flow directed right at the filter you can do the zoodad mod(I think it's called that) and use the tube from the stock airbox to shoot outside air right at the filter while you're driving. I think that gains will be minimal though and as Andy stated, the temps you are seeing are not hurting anything at all.

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanesz View Post
I know this filter flows more air but being a open element under the hood it takes the hot air from under the hood. I was towing this weekend and it was 80 deg out side temp the air intake sensor was reading 96deg and it traffic it was over 110deg. Is this killing power because the intake charge is hot air. I know my gas truck suffered when the intake air got to hot. In the winter months this is not a big deal but summer its getting pretty hot.

What do you think?
Just watch your EGTs. If the IAT is too high, EGTs will follow.

Part of the reason the gas vehicle suffered from less power is that when the air heated up, it expanded. So less mass for the same volume. But, carburetors and FI systems meter the fuel according to air mass, not air volume. So, less air mass, less fuel.
In the diesel, the FI system meters the fuel in accordance to the pedal, and the air is just along for the ride, so to speak. when the air gets thinner, the turbo will partially make up for that by itself because it will spin faster, pushing a higher volume of air into the engine, attempting to reach the necessary air mass flow rate. Since the turbo is driven by exhaust gasses, the higher the amount of fuel, the more gas is available to the turbo. So, while fuel efficiency would go down, power really is not affected as much.
But for 20-30 degrees, you're not going to notice the difference in fuel efficiency.

Go ARMY!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Headwind Magnet

Excellent explanation Dan!
Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Bigfoot is an OBS

well at least it made sense to someone. I had to rewrite it three times before I thought it was reasonably clear.

Go ARMY!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:35 AM
All done now

My explanation was the Cliff Notes version. But I agree, nice job.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Allright it makes sense now thanks for the input. I still think I will do the zoodad mod to help with intake temps.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
Just watch your EGTs. If the IAT is too high, EGTs will follow.

Part of the reason the gas vehicle suffered from less power is that when the air heated up, it expanded. So less mass for the same volume. But, carburetors and FI systems meter the fuel according to air mass, not air volume. So, less air mass, less fuel.
In the diesel, the FI system meters the fuel in accordance to the pedal, and the air is just along for the ride, so to speak. when the air gets thinner, the turbo will partially make up for that by itself because it will spin faster, pushing a higher volume of air into the engine, attempting to reach the necessary air mass flow rate. Since the turbo is driven by exhaust gasses, the higher the amount of fuel, the more gas is available to the turbo. So, while fuel efficiency would go down, power really is not affected as much.
But for 20-30 degrees, you're not going to notice the difference in fuel efficiency.
Wouldn't the trip through the CAC cool it some?

I have a philosophy? Who knew. Ok, where's the beer?

In lockstep to the end of the world....

2002 F-250/CC/SB/4"SS Magnaflow/Evolution2/HPX/Pre pump mod/Harpoon/65psi fuel shim/FTVB/Zoodad mod/2008 Diff Cover/V-10 transmission cooler
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fddriver2 View Post
Wouldn't the trip through the CAC cool it some?
It would cool it some. But, you never are able to remove as much heat as you put in. So if IAT pre-turbo goes up 20 degrees, the post turbo, pre-cac will go up a little more than 20 degrees (little like 20.005), and the post-cac will go up less than 20 degrees. The post-cac would go up something around 5-15 degrees, depending on air flow in the cac, and outside the cac. The more (mass) airflow you have IN the cac (going into the engine), the more (mass) airflow you need on the OUTSIDE of the cac to maintain close to the same cac outlet temp.

Go ARMY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode