What would you do? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

What would you do?

First I want to thank the PSN for all my Powerstroke dreams of big power and a tough Superduty but that has all changed now for me. Found out yesterday that I have #3 in the oven and the clock is ticking and I figure I have six months before I have to buy all the baby stuff the wife wants (its her version of a truck and accessories) so I will put in some more overtime I guess..

So my dilemma is which way to go with my truck completion now and I don't know what to do. I have two complete motors that I was going to make one with, the block needs a bore, line hone, decking, crank is ground, heads are ok but need 910's installed at a minimum, seals gaskets water pump thermostat and every other nickel and dime part including injectors. I have forged rods, a 15* and 17* hpop, and new pistons and some other stuff at my shop that are not shown.

I have thought about not doing the heads, porting, cam, fluid dampener, air dog, IDM mod, and I am sure there is way more I am forgetting but these were on my hit list for the motor. I am not even going to talk about the rest of the truck because I had so many plans and I dont think its realistic to keep the idea that I will do everything before its back on the road, I wasn't going to stop until it was the way I see it in my head before its time to drive.

I found a local guy with a wrecked 02 complete motor with only 56,000 miles on it. I haven't seen it yet but he says it was upside down when it crashed and puked a lot of oil out the air box, and the battery cables were cut, so bring oil, batteries and the cables if I want to start it. He is asking $2000 for the complete motor pan to turbo. I will go see it on Monday.

So do I buy the unknown for cheap, toss it in the truck and get it running stock and build my motor on the side/ or put my 38R and fuel return, some new tunes and wait a bit for the hybrids I was going to buy anyways? I know its most likely a PMR motor so I wouldn't push the limits there.

Or spend the money to finish my machine work, injectors, tunes, and everything else for much more?

Sorry for the rant but I am stressed out here but don't get me wrong as I am happy to be a father one more time but I just need to rearrange my priority's for a little while and the truck is my favorite project right now. Any suggestions is welcome.

Early 99' F-250 Lariat LB 7.3
38r, 238/100 hybrids, head and main studs, 910's, DI pushrods, ported heads, matt's stage 1 cam, 0.030" over, forged rods, fully balanced, RR, 6637, 4" exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:35 AM
GoNavy!

Re: What would you do?

I say screw the PMR and do it right...You might regret later if you go the cheap way.

2000 F-250, RCLB, Auto!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:13 AM
PSN Veteran

if you got a kid on the way and funds are tight, get #### running as cheap as possible. who gives a #### what kinda hp you make.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:26 AM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecline View Post
if you got a kid on the way and funds are tight, get #### running as cheap as possible. who gives a #### what kinda hp you make.
Perfectly said. Some things are way more important than a truck.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Funds are not too tight, definatly not as bad as some out there, both my wife and I have good jobs so its just a matter of do I do it now for cheaper and less of a build or wait it out and keep plugging.

Early 99' F-250 Lariat LB 7.3
38r, 238/100 hybrids, head and main studs, 910's, DI pushrods, ported heads, matt's stage 1 cam, 0.030" over, forged rods, fully balanced, RR, 6637, 4" exhaust
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 AM
PSN Veteran

If you go to check the other motor unhook the IC pipes before you crank it at all. As oil runs up in the IC and then if you crank it sometimes it will cause it to stick wide open b/c it sucks the oil out of the IC and runs off it. Just a heads up of something that happens when these trucks are rolled.

00 f250 some stuff done always more to do.
Best advice I have seen on here "If you cant afford to build it right you certainly cant afford to build it twice"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Mike's Diesel Performance

Send a message via AIM to sick97psd1

I'd want to pull the GP of that motor to make sure there was no oil in the cylinders.

Mike's Diesel Performance
734-385-4208
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Take 1/2in ratchet and 15/16 and roll it by hand first see if it tries to hydrolock and if not then unhook the Ic pipes shoud be no way to bend a rod then.

00 f250 some stuff done always more to do.
Best advice I have seen on here "If you cant afford to build it right you certainly cant afford to build it twice"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
<<< Power

My wife and I didn't know we could have kids, we got surprised by our boy.

Wouldn't trade him for the world, and I don't begrudge him a thing.

But, what would've taken me 6 months to finish on this truck is gettin close to goin over a year now. I'd say make sure you've got things taken care of for your family, and when you can put some cash aside for your truck.

Makin it a priority just pisses the wife off lol.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM
PSN Local

also having number 3 on the way, I say go with the PMR engine IF it works right now. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it wasn't locked and messed up a rod. Down the road, 50k later, you can always sell it complete as you finish your other engine and 2k isn't bad for a 7.3 with 100k.

micky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode