Ladder/Traction Bars - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
HP Junky

Ladder/Traction Bars

Anyone built there own ladder bars? I'd kind of like to put some on my truck, I've got the equipment and know-how to do it, I'm just not sure if there more to it than just connecting a bar to the axle and frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Smile Re: Ladder/Traction Bars

Friend of mine makes them for Excursions I could hook you up with him to see if he has plans available for the SD.

Shot you a PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Re: Ladder/Traction Bars

i need some info for a stock height truck. does this affect the ride quality?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Limp Member

does this affect the ride quality?

Yep, and if you tow it affects (at least the IME) miserably. Make sure you can easily remove them.

I will try and take a pic of the homemade set on a buddy's truck.

01 F350 CC DRW 4x4 #46
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHPMustang View Post
Friend of mine makes them for Excursions I could hook you up with him to see if he has plans available for the SD.

Shot you a PM.

Shoot me one too for the wifes X... !!!

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Cool Re: Ladder/Traction Bars

PM sent to ya Joe,the Radius Rods will change the handling behavior of the Excursion many times over
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Subject Matter Expert

If you make a set, make sure it has a shackle in the front mounting point, so that it can freely pivot and move forward and backward as you load the suspension. Fabtech's are a good example. They have that, and also in the rear, they have a bracket that CLAMPS over the axle tube, and the bar is mounted at the top AND bottom. You want something that has a bottom and top location that connects to each other on the bar. Get what i mean? Just one bar at the bottom will "help" control spring wrap, however a ladder style setup will stop the spring wrap. If you have one bar on the bottom, the axle is still allowed to pivot up (enough to give you mild wheel hop) because there is no top link preventing the axle from pivoting at all.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

correct me if im rong, but it seems like the shackle would defeat the purpose?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
PSN Veteran

A properly made setup that has the dual mounting at the axle (top and bottom) will work with a shackle. The shackle will limit axle wrap while not binding the suspension during travel. It may still allow the axle to wrap a tiny bit.

A fixed style, single tube bar will avoid axle wrap.....but can bind the suspension.

The key with a single tube setup is to design the bars so that their arc of movement is similar to the arc in which the rear springs travel.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 AM
PSN Veteran

I just built a set for my truck. One bar on each side made of 1 3/4" DOM tubing, 52" long, with 2" heim joints, 1" thread. I have some pics I will try and post tomorrow. I just made brackets to weld to the axle and frame. With the joints I have on my truck, they have 30 Degrees of travel in every direction and with a spacer on each side you can get a lot more than that. My truck only has a 2.5" lift also.

02 F350 CC 4x4, Common rail, 90hp injectors, Hellman intercooler,studs,twin cp3s,64/71/14 HTT turbo, HTT manifold,maxspool cam,Smarty POD,TS MP8,ported head, BTS tranny,PCS tranny controller,Airdog,Trac bars
2015 F250 CC 4x4 6.7 powerstroke stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode