Problems/Negatives if Over-Oiled AFE filter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Needs more hours per day

Problems/Negatives if Over-Oiled AFE filter?

Other than wasting filter oil, is there a downside to over-oiling an AFE filter? I've got a Stage II and just cleaned it for the first time, but think I probably over-oiled it. I didn't understand the proper oiling procedure so, instead than spraying one wide band around the top and letting it soak down, I lightly sprayed all of the pleats. When I put the filter cover over it, I noticed a few spots on the cover from exess oil. Dumb mistake, I know, but we live and learn.

So my main concern now is any downsides, like increased restriction or a decrease in filtering ability. I'm guessing any excess oil will just get sucked through it. Is there anything I need to be worried about, take it off to clean and properly re-oil it, or should I just let it be and chock it up to a lesson learned?

TIA

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:49 AM
<-- it's like that

Re: Problems/Negatives if Over-Oiled AFE filter?

Best bet other than letting it sit and dry for a few days would be to re-wash and oil again.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Needs more hours per day

Well, it was last Wednesday when I cleaned and oiled it, so it's been a few days and about 400 miles of driving. I just haven't had time to post the question.

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Construction Babysitter

I would think that after time the vacuum from the turbo would pull any excess out. It's not like the filter is clogged. And as far as the oil in the intake track, the ccv provides that anyway. I have noticed if I take my air filter off and lay it on its side for a period of time, it will leave a little oil on the ground where it was sitting.

Dave

99.5 F250 Lariat : 6" lift on 37" Toyo MT's, DP Tunes, Built Transmission, Airbags, AIH Delete, 38R, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, Sinister Regulated Return, IH bellowed up pipes, AFE Stage II, ISSPro Performax gauges, Scan Gauge, Casserly Stage I's, T-500 HPOP, Swamp's IDM
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

wouldnt know....I have the Pro Dry S!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooner View Post
I would think that after time the vacuum from the turbo would pull any excess out. It's not like the filter is clogged. And as far as the oil in the intake track, the ccv provides that anyway. I have noticed if I take my air filter off and lay it on its side for a period of time, it will leave a little oil on the ground where it was sitting.
JT this was my thinking. I did just as you did, covered the whole thing lightly with oil, and let it sit for maybe 2 hours, and then put it on and ran it. The oil shouldnt be any worse then CCV, they would both are going in the preturbo intake anyways. It always made the afe housing oily and dirty.

DRW and tow fast parts.......
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
JT this was my thinking. I did just as you did, covered the whole thing lightly with oil, and let it sit for maybe 2 hours, and then put it on and ran it. The oil shouldnt be any worse then CCV, they would both are going in the preturbo intake anyways. It always made the afe housing oily and dirty.
Totally right. Who cares any excess oil will just go through the engine. Dont worry about it.

2002 F350 DRW, 38r Turbo, Terminator T500, REG return fuel system, CTS Evo Custom tuned by Bill at Powerhungry Performance, bts converter, S&B intake, Snows Stage 3 Water/Meth. Mcculloch hids 6k.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
<==Drivin My Boat

Better it be over oiled and not under oiled. Other than some more oil in the intake I wouldn't worry about it. Only difference is that this oil is going to be stickier than the condensed motor oil, put probably not a problem

1999.5 F-350 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4
2000 VW Jetta TDI

Both a little worked over

For us New England Guys
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

There should be no problem.... I also rotate mine 180* every oil change or month because I notice over time, more oil will percolate towards the bottom of the filter.

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Well, it was last Wednesday when I cleaned and oiled it, so it's been a few days and about 400 miles of driving. I just haven't had time to post the question.
Since you've already driven it, then there's no need to take it out and re-clean and oil it. By now the excess oil has be sucked into the intake. Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode