4" turbo back what to expect? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

4" turbo back what to expect?

I ordered a 4" turbo back system from summit yesterday. I have been looking around for a while and waited till the last minute as always. Summit has super fast shipping have got there kits before and was pleased with the quality. I have done all the steps to open up the old 7.3 Gauges, DYI intake now exhaust. people say you need to do these things before you put a tuner in the truck. I am trying to decide between beans and PHP.

How much did the 4" kit help your truck did you feel it in the butt dyno? I have an old dialabo programmer that I use the 40hp tow tune. I am going camping next week should be a about 600mi round trip and I can see if my mileage has improved from the last outing. My truck gross is 14,000 trailer and all the crap bikes cooler full of beer and the kitchen sink. I have not been to impressed with how this truck pulls and am hopping this will help out. I am hoping the straight through muffler is not to loud or drone. I know the chip will most likely be the biggest power gains but I had to do the preliminary mods first.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 AM
riverjet

Re: 4" turbo back what to expect?

When I put mine on nine years ago I was running a HYPERTECH programmer. It made my truck feel slower(loss of bottom end response).After adding more fuel it worked fine. I used a 4 inch downpipe,so I think that resulted in a loss of response with the low fueling of the HYPERTECH. I run DP but I am really looking at Beans.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Village Idiot

It will sound deeper, and should lower egts, as for power.
Well that is what the chip is for.

There is some folks that say for a less modded truck a 3.5 dp is better for torque, but 4" is the most common. So you should be good. Just don't tighten clamps till your all adjusted.

As for tunes I like bean but php is awsome as well. Good choices.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I still have the stock exhaust now with the stock muffler on too. Some people said just do the muffler delete but I was having a hard time finding anyone local to bend 3.5" pipe. I live in Michigan so everything gets pretty rusted from the salt so its getting close to its death anyway.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM
oil burner

i hope i never feel anything IN the butt dyno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanesz View Post
I still have the stock exhaust now with the stock muffler on too. Some people said just do the muffler delete but I was having a hard time finding anyone local to bend 3.5" pipe. I live in Michigan so everything gets pretty rusted from the salt so its getting close to its death anyway.
where in michigan?

02 f250
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Shelby township.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:24 PM
<---- Funny

im working on the 59 project between crooks and ryan rd.... glad to have another MI person on board...

Will

2002 F-350 CC LB 4x4 DRW

3 other PSDs, Low-Pro Freightliner, and 12 other diesel trucks

Random pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriott View Post
im working on the 59 project between crooks and ryan rd.... glad to have another MI person on board...

Get to work thats a mess over there.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Braaaaaaaaaaaap

The summit 4" is a decent kit, not the best nor the worst. For Mi I would have sprung for a bling exhaust that would resist corrosion better.

I've helped do a couple of those, the kit fits up pretty well and shouldn't be a major PITA like their 5" kit I have.

Stock muffler to a straight through/bigger complete system will be a night and day diff on the butt dyno. What you will feel is faster spoolup, it's maybe a couple hp gain. Like others said, it's a supporting mod for adding more power. Install a good tuner next

'00 F350 CC LB 4wd 7.3L with stuff, haulin' a 40' trailer with toys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode