Buy a block or build one i have?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Buy a block or build one i have??

It seems like every single person on this site is running big sticks/turbos etc.. its finally gotten the best of me, and i now want to be in the cool kids club

My truck is nearing 225k and even though it still runs amazing for that many miles i can tell its starting to get tired. Im looking into doing a 475-500hp solid, yet the most reliable build i can do. Studs, Rods, RR, full fuel system, adrenaline, 238/100's, and all neccesary gauges to monitor everything should get me there. Feel free to add your own advice or suggestions as well. I will be able to do most of the work myself, if not all so keep that in mind as far as labor costs go. Heres my questions:

-With 225k on the clock and the miles ill add before doing the build would it be a better idea to purchase a block from DI or "off the street" and build that one or just save that money for parts and build the current block in the truck now and hope it stays together from the added stress?

-Whats a rough estimate on the money ill need to ask the bank for to do this build? Not including tranny.

-While the 38r is a proven turbo for this kind of build, id like to run something different as everybody and their momma has a 38r Maybe a 42r? How's WOP's QSSB?

-Still completley clueless on what fuel system to run. Do any companies offer a FULL SYSTEM? I mean like down to the filter and all. Is it cheaper to piece together a system as far as filters fuel lines etc go?

This build wont be happening tomorrow as i've still got 2 years left of school to get through but im staring to get ideas together now. Im sure there will be alot more questions added as this thread goes along.

Thank you all for your help

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Buy a block or build one i have??

All these built 7.3's, and no one has any helpful insight for me?

geeze fellas...

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 AM
PSN Veteran

The ideas you have so far are pretty good 238/100s can get you into the range you want looks like you left out 910s springs on your list and tuning. IMO you cant beat DIs price on just about everything you need and hes running a group buy right now on headers that would help you out on a bigger turbo since you dont want to go w/ a 38r which is the simpliest choice for you but I understand wanting to do something different. As for fuel system DI, ITP, and dieselsite offer complete kits I believe. Im sure someone w/ much more knowledge then me will chime in im just goin off my recent build. Hope it helps On edit borrow 10K you will always find something else you want.

00 f250 some stuff done always more to do.
Best advice I have seen on here "If you cant afford to build it right you certainly cant afford to build it twice"

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 AM
MINK

sounds like you have a good plan...id find a used good condition long block and start building it then sell the stock parts you dont use...another turbo option to look into is the s400, not as common but can be built to do whatever you want it to....also if your gona be building it over the next year or two just slowly buy the parts so you dont have to barrow money..goodluck

Josh Mink
CAMB MOTORSPORTS
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Matt will get the tuning job so since that's the case my injectors will probably come from Nate.

I'm still not dead set on which injectors I'm going with but I know I want at the minimum a 238cc and nothing smaller than an 80% nozzzle. Looks like I did forget to add springs to the list but yeah I will be going with the 910's.

Probably won't mess with headers as I don't really see a "need" for them on a DD street truck. Then again, who knows what'll happen by the time I start building.

Quote:
Black Ops 360
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 AM
PSN Local

right now my truck is in the hands of Logan at CenTex Diesel and David at DI. Between the 2 gents, i'm having quite a bit of work done and am pretty confident my truck will be into the 520hp range. Here is the list of items that i went with after talking to both guys:

38R
99.5 update kit with Intl bellowed uppies
DI RR
ARP Head Studs
DI FASS Fuel system
Adrenaline
Mini Me 238/100s
DI Tuning
6.0L intercooler
SouthBend Dual Disc Clutch
4" MagnaFlow Exhaust
DI Pushrods
Comp 910s
DI Cam
Complete Block Rebuild and Balanced
DI Girdle w/ ARP Main Studs
Coated Pistons & Bearings
Crower Billet Rods
ATI Dampner
Gauges (Boost, Fuel Pressure, Pyro, Trans Temp)
and I think thats it for now

Jimmy
Early '99 (8/98) F350 CC LB, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, ZF6, 3.73, aFe Stage 2
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:21 AM
kinda hot in these rhinos

Send a message via AIM to upinsmoke70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlau6888 View Post
right now my truck is in the hands of Logan at CenTex Diesel and David at DI. Between the 2 gents, i'm having quite a bit of work done and am pretty confident my truck will be into the 520hp range. Here is the list of items that i went with after talking to both guys:

38R
99.5 update kit with Intl bellowed uppies
DI RR
ARP Head Studs
DI FASS Fuel system
Adrenaline
Mini Me 238/100s
DI Tuning
6.0L intercooler
SouthBend Dual Disc Clutch
4" MagnaFlow Exhaust
DI Pushrods
Comp 910s
DI Cam
Complete Block Rebuild and Balanced
DI Girdle w/ ARP Main Studs
Coated Pistons & Bearings
Crower Billet Rods
ATI Dampner
Gauges (Boost, Fuel Pressure, Pyro, Trans Temp)
and I think thats it for now
A girdle and rods might be a little overkill for 500hp... but if you want to be on the safe side or are thinking you might shoot for 650+ later on rods and girdle now make sense
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmoke70 View Post
A girdle and rods might be a little overkill for 500hp... but if you want to be on the safe side or are thinking you might shoot for 650+ later on rods and girdle now make sense
yeah its overkill just for now, i plan on going bigger later. main reason is one of my pistons has to be replaced so since the the bottom end was getting opened up, i figured might as well just beef it up so idont have to do it later when i do decide to go with a bigger turbo and injectors, possibly 42R with b-codes

Jimmy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 AM
kinda hot in these rhinos

Send a message via AIM to upinsmoke70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlau6888 View Post
yeah its overkill just for now, i plan on going bigger later. main reason is one of my pistons has to be replaced so since the the bottom end was getting opened up, i figured might as well just beef it up so idont have to do it later when i do decide to go with a bigger turbo and injectors, possibly 42R with b-codes
thats what i figured was probably the case or would be eventually
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmoke70 View Post
thats what i figured was probably the case or would be eventually
Yeah i figured I'd spend the extra money now just to get it over with and save myself the extra labor costs later. plus 500 ponies is more than enough for now. once my wallet gets fatter i'll then decide on what to do for a larger turbo and injectors.

Jimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode