Rod and Engine build help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Rod and Engine build help

So I have picked up a 1999 Motor, with Forged Rods ( I hope ) and now I am starting to tear it down. My question is, what would any of you do with the rods? Have them Heat treated and Cryo'd would be my best bet wouldn't it? I am going to tear into the bottom end, being I was told it has over 300k miles. I also want to go back with a girdle, and main studs. Anyone have thier favorites? And just some rough prices? My goals with this truck are a set of 300/200%, and I haven't decided on the turbo yet. I am hoping for around 550 rwhp, or possibly more. Any tips or advice would be great. Im young and Im here to learn and have a good time building this motor.

2002 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 7.3 Mostly stock... for now

2003 Ford Ranger Fx4 Level ll Sonic Blue with 33s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfighter View Post
I'm getting it in the can right now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Rod and Engine build help

If your going to cryo them you could get ahold of WOP. Many of the vendors sell girdle kits, you can check there websites or call em for prices. May want to get the pistons worked over for the power level if your going to be going into the motor anyhow. The 300/200's can make some pretty good heat.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake0524 View Post
If your going to cryo them you could get ahold of WOP. Many of the vendors sell girdle kits, you can check there websites or call em for prices. May want to get the pistons worked over for the power level if your going to be going into the motor anyhow. The 300/200's can make some pretty good heat.
Allrite. Your setup is pretty much what I want. And I was thinking about going ahead and putting back new pistons and rings, since Im right there. What girdle did you go with? Sorry if I missed it.

Quote:

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM
PSN Veteran

No girdle in mine... I didn't pull the motor down just bolted a bunch of stuff on it... Maybe it's gonna blow, who knows.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake0524 View Post
No girdle in mine... I didn't pull the motor down just bolted a bunch of stuff on it... Maybe it's gonna blow, who knows.
Oh haha. Yeah, I really don't wanna do all this work, and overlook something. Yes, its more money, but while Im right here, why not go ahead and do it. Is your setup over 600 hp? I guess I need to call Swamps...

Quote:
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
PSN Veteran

If I would have pulled the motor and had it apart it would have got rods, girdle, cut/coated pistons and partial fill. But I will do that someday with one of the blocks I have to build. I'm not sure on my power but more than the 300 or so it pulled into the shop with a couple of months ago...
Swamps will take care of ya if that's who you're going with!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Supercharged

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockrunner86

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N View Post
So I have picked up a 1999 Motor, with Forged Rods ( I hope ) and now I am starting to tear it down. My question is, what would any of you do with the rods? Have them Heat treated and Cryo'd would be my best bet wouldn't it? I am going to tear into the bottom end, being I was told it has over 300k miles. I also want to go back with a girdle, and main studs. Anyone have thier favorites? And just some rough prices? My goals with this truck are a set of 300/200%, and I haven't decided on the turbo yet. I am hoping for around 550 rwhp, or possibly more. Any tips or advice would be great. Im young and Im here to learn and have a good time building this motor.

I would say if your going to spend the time for a girdle you better put rods in it aswell. Not sure there is much use fixing one weak link and not the other. I had a diecent amount of main cap walk on my factory motor. You have to do a line bored when installing the girdle also.

99.5 F-350 6-speed Daily Driver/Tow Rig.

Engine - Empire Diesel Performance

Air - Empire Diesel Performance Compounds Procharger Primary / Garrett 38R Secondary

Oil- Swamps Gen-3

Fuel - B-codes
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrunner86 View Post
I would say if your going to spend the time for a girdle you better put rods in it aswell. Not sure there is much use fixing one weak link and not the other. I had a diecent amount of main cap walk on my factory motor. You have to do a line bored when installing the girdle also.
Allrite. Yeah I was probably going to get it line bored. Thats one thing that my dad mentioned to me. And I was really hoping I could get around having to get a set of rods. Damn they are expensive.

Quote:
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Lovin Life...

If you tear the motor apart, put good rods in it. Girdle ( my pick would be Carson's) and balance the rotating assembly. If you want to go cheap route for 300/200's just put studs, 910 springs and pushrods in it. Run it till it goes. In the meantime, you can build your old motor the way you want to.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Dairy Mechanic

Any idea what turbo you want to go with?

96 Ford F-350 200 cc's, Electric fuel system, TS chip, 17 oil pump, Banks intercooler, 3" intake manifolds, SNOW Water-Meth system, South Bend DxD 3600, Banks brake, 4" stacks. Tuff country ladder bars.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IH RULES Not a 6.0 fan, engine out right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode