1.0 housing question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

1.0 housing question

Any of you guys with 6 spds got a 38r or a stocker with a 1.0 housing with stock sticks? Just wondering how it spools or if it feels to laggy. I know with an auto it gets the rpms up easier, but I was wondering about with a 6 spd. Thinking i'm fixing to rebuild my stocker or may look for a van turbo and if i rebuild my stocker, go with a 1.0 housing or if funds allow a 38r.

Thanks

2000 F-250 ext cab 4x4 6 spd. Glowshift gauges(egt, boost, and fuel pressure), PHP tuned, DIY intake. MBRP 5 inch straight exhaust with 6 inch tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1.0 housing question

A 38r will generally be more laggy than a stock turbo on stock sticks, regardless of housing.

But a 38r with the 1.0 vs a 38r with a 1.15 will spool alot faster. What are your plans with the truck? Gonna stay relatively stock or are you going to put biggr sticks and stuff in?

If trucks staying stockish I'd just go with a van turbo

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'm prolly just gonna keep stock sticks. I figure either do a van turbo or rebuild my stock one and put a 1.0 housing on it and a WW probably. Don't have a goal for big horsepower. Its a daily driver and I don't have the money to go into all the other supporting mods.

2000 F-250 ext cab 4x4 6 spd. Glowshift gauges(egt, boost, and fuel pressure), PHP tuned, DIY intake. MBRP 5 inch straight exhaust with 6 inch tip

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 AM
PSN Local

Well I will say that adding a 1.0 to my stock turbo was one of the best additions that I have made to it. I was running a TN JB Ball Buster, and then went to my stocker and added the 1.0. While my chip was out I ran the TN for a bit til the 1.0 came around. Once that was installed it seemed like I had a 50HP chip installed when I was just on the PCM only. I would highly recommend it if you don't want to spend big bucks on a 38R. That was my issue.

2000 F-250 SCSB, Dieselsite extreme fuel system, Dieselsite TM wastegate, AFE stage 2, Stock Turbo w/ATS ported housing, Banks 1.0 quick spool, Dieselsite Wicked Wheel, BDP custom tunes, 6spd, Luc Clutch, Western Diesel Turbo Brake, and 3.5" DP 4" out.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank you for the reply. That was what I was looking for. How do u like your LUK clutch?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 AM
PSN Veteran

I have liked my LUK although it seems as the clutch pedal pressure increases with age

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Caption This

I would wager that if someone would secretly install a 1.0 housing on your truck tonight while you are sleeping you wouldn't even notice the difference on your way to work in the morning.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hahahaha, you're prolly right.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
PSN Local

I will agree with the guy above it does seem to increase pedal pressure with age but I do love it. I had the HD one before with cerametalic and it was a great clutch just don't back up on a hot day. It was a bear to drive at times when it was hot. Would chatter like crazy. The standard Luk clutch drives and feels so much better then the HD I would highly recommend it if you are looking for an affordable clutch. But this is all that I have had experience with other then the stock.

2000 F-250 SCSB, Dieselsite extreme fuel system, Dieselsite TM wastegate, AFE stage 2, Stock Turbo w/ATS ported housing, Banks 1.0 quick spool, Dieselsite Wicked Wheel, BDP custom tunes, 6spd, Luc Clutch, Western Diesel Turbo Brake, and 3.5" DP 4" out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
PSN Veteran

I've had all three (.84, 1.0, and 1.15 - van) on my 6-speed with stock injectors. When I chipped it with the stock .84 it was easy to over-speed (not over boost) the turbo and it blew the exhaust side seal about 12K miles after adding the chip. I then went to the van turbo and it was not bad laggy unless you shifted early and tried to pull from 1,500 rpm. I liked it and ran it that way for years before moving to 5,000' elevation. Up here the turbo was laggy below 2,000 RPM and was a nuisance so I went to the 1.0/WW setup and it works the best for all situations. I have had it from sea level to 10,000 feet and the 1.0/WW is definitely the best compromise of drive-ability, boost, and no surge, IMO. If you are strictly a flat lander then the van turbo is not a bad way to go at all and probably what I would still have on my truck. When I went to the 1.0 on my 6-speed I put the van turbo on the wife's auto PSD and it was definitely a better match with the auto tranny but still too much lag for her daily driving up here. The van turbo is now happily running around central Texas and the wife also has a 1.0/WW combination on her truck.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode