How much difference does a 38R really make? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

How much difference does a 38R really make?

I was just wondering just how much difference does a 38R turbo really make on a late model 7.3L engine in terms of power, acceleration, EGTs, and smoke. Does it really give you more power? Without first spooling my turbo will it make my acceleration faster? How much will it really lower my EGTs? Does it help with reducing smoke at all? Also how much boost can the turbo really make? Websites say 40psi is the most but can it go higher then that or does it come in short? I just want to see what people are really seeing with the turbo before I spend all this money on it. Thanks for you the help!

2003 F-250 Super Duty 7.3L, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, AFE Intake Manifold, AFE 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, DP Tuner F6 (40Tow, 80Econo, 120Race), Snow Performance MPG MAX Water/Methonal Injection, Adrenaline HPOP, Zoodad Mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Well Hung Member

Re: How much difference does a 38R really make?

you might not get more boost, but itll get there in what seems like half the time, significant drop in egt's and reduced smoke is just a bi product of the other things that it will do for you, as for seat of the pants feel? absolutely worth the money especially when they can be had for 1500 brand new, or easily found used by people going bigger. buuut when youre ready to do a set of injectors this turbo's a nice match to a set of like 238's or similar,

Donnie
2001- just the basics

2005 6.0 Studded, Deleted, 58v Swamps/PHP tuned Ficm, SOLD
99.5 hybrids, termy modded 17*, GT4294 TOTALED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessnakid View Post
I was just wondering just how much difference does a 38R turbo really make on a late model 7.3L engine in terms of power, acceleration, EGTs, and smoke. Does it really give you more power? YESWithout first spooling my turbo will it make my acceleration faster? HUH?? How much will it really lower my EGTs? Depends on how hot how much fuel etc but its significant Does it help with reducing smoke at all? Yes Also how much boost can the turbo really make? In what situation to many variables. Websites say 40psi and that would be correct in single use if you care about your engine and turbo longevity is the most but can it go higher then that or does it come in short? Again yes and no to both I just want to see what people are really seeing with the turbo before I spend all this money on it. Understandable. Do some searching and look at some signatures. Thanks for you the help!
The 38R is one of the top upgrades made to 7.3s. It is one fun turbo. Spools fast good usable power. Stock positions so simplest of all installs. One thing you do not see is many disappointed owners.

A 38R compared to a stock turbo. With proper fuel the 38r can make over 500 HPOP factory turbo in complete stock forum about 150 hp less and will likely not last.

The 40 psi is the highest it can flow in single form where it will still be inside its map (be efficient). Yes it can run higher but its the law of diminishing returns and is harder on the engine and turbo. Yes it lowers EGTS. How much depends on how much fuel is sued and how hot it is. More air with the same amount of fuel if there is smoke will reduce it by the amount of extra air flowed. Understand there is more to it than boost. 30 psi of boost in a stock turbo and 38R provide very different amount of air flow and power. The 38R is more efficient.

Honestly doing a few searches on just about any 7.3 forum and you can see how popular the upgrade is. Do you really think it woudl be so if it was just a mediocre upgrade in overall performance.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
The 38R is one of the top upgrades made to 7.3s. It is one fun turbo. Spools fast good usable power. Stock positions so simplest of all installs. One thing you do not see is many disappointed owners.

A 38R compared to a stock turbo. With proper fuel the 38r can make over 500 HPOP factory turbo in complete stock forum about 150 hp less and will likely not last.

The 40 psi is the highest it can flow in single form where it will still be inside its map (be efficient). Yes it can run higher but its the law of diminishing returns and is harder on the engine and turbo. Yes it lowers EGTS. How much depends on how much fuel is sued and how hot it is. More air with the same amount of fuel if there is smoke will reduce it by the amount of extra air flowed. Understand there is more to it than boost. 30 psi of boost in a stock turbo and 38R provide very different amount of air flow and power. The 38R is more efficient.

Honestly doing a few searches on just about any 7.3 forum and you can see how popular the upgrade is. Do you really think it woudl be so if it was just a mediocre upgrade in overall performance.
TARM, you tackled this one pretty well, especially the part in bold. I personally could care less if my boost numbers were 20, 30, or 40psi, if I have the airflow I need and the turbo is staying close to it's max. efficiency.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 AM
PSN Veteran

think I'm going to save TARM's reply for the next 38 38r threads there will be this month.

Very well said bud.

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Back to Civilian Life!!

Makes a big difference. You will get the 38R and you will not be dissapointed.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
PSN Local

I love the 38R. As was already stated, it's a great match with injectors of the hybrid 238/80 flavor. With the right supporting mods, that combo should make 475ish street/tow-friendly RWHP (and be a heck of a lot of fun). However, if I never planned on going with bigger injectors than stock, it would be hard for me to justify the expense.

Also, at 40psi, the 38R is already way outside of it's map. It starts losing the 1:1 BP ratio around the 30psi mark, IIRC. There-in lies the trade-off. In order to get the low boost threshold, you will run the turbo out of it's map on the top-end to get to the ~40psi mark (but will still make ~475rwhp).
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

As for your acceleration without first "spooling" it SHOULD as long as you go with the 1.0 housing.

I believe what he meant Tarm is without first building boost on the line. But yes, a BB turbo generally spools a few hundred RPM faster.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Back to Civilian Life!!

I dont have bigger injectors in my truck just stockers and it is well worth it. Anything over 25PSI is out of a stockers MAP and at 25 PSI it wont last all that long either. If you get the 38R and just have a chip and never plan on anything else its still well worth the money.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah sorry for the confusion on "spooling my turbo". What I meant was with out first building boost up on the line. I'm really trying to make my truck have a throw you back in your seat kinda feel when I gun it. Right now it just seems like its so slow to respond. My buddy has an 06 Duramax and with his VGT that thing throws you back in your seat off the line and on the highway. So I'm trying to make my truck more responsive and have more overall power. If I could make my truck beat my buddies that would be great cause all he has on his is a Banks intake, exhaust and Six-Gun. I'm so tired of him calling my truck the "SlowStroke" that I either have to beat him in the 1/4 mile or on a dyno, either way, just something I can rub in his face. I know I'm gonna have to get a new turbo, and new injectors but I just wanted to make sure that a 38R would give me the results that I'm looking for.

2003 F-250 Super Duty 7.3L, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, AFE Intake Manifold, AFE 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, DP Tuner F6 (40Tow, 80Econo, 120Race), Snow Performance MPG MAX Water/Methonal Injection, Adrenaline HPOP, Zoodad Mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode