DIY Big Oil - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
10.61 @ 128 MPH

Send a message via AIM to Powersmoker
DIY Big Oil

Anyone done the DIY Big oil? How more money does it take to make the kit complete? Whats all involved?

I noticed that beans and dpp sell the diy kit. both advertised for 900.00.

www.beansdieselperformance.com
www.dpppower.com

2000 F-250 Regular Cab
1069 RWHP 1768 Torque
10.55 @ 129 MPH NOS

2000 F-350 ECLB DRW
Tow Rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Murff Racing Twisted Diesel
Empire Diesel DieselSite
Swamps Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: DIY Big Oil

I have heard Bean mention, that if you already had the pumps, the fittings, ect.. would be less than 50.00. Seems that is a figure I heard thrown out there,,, others may have a more exact figure,

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 AM
PSN Veteran

I just finished the Stealth DIY kit from DPPOWER.com. I did the dual IPR's and 4 lines, but you don't have to do that if you don't want.

You'll have to track down a good 2nd HPOP. I found one on Ebay for $250 and it already had the IPR installed on it. The DIY kit comes with a IPR plug if you only want to do 1 IPR. So in addition to the second pump, you'll need to go to your local Parker fitting store (or some sort of hose and fitting place). It shouldn't be more than another $40 in fittings and hoses. You will also have to go to your local Ford or international dealer (they are cheaper). You'll want to get 2 new HPOP gaskets (1 for the front pump and 1 for the rear pump). I went ahead and changed out all my o-rings as well since I had the factory HPOP out. Also make sure you have a press available to you. You will have to press out the shaft on one of the pumps to re-shaft it for the Stealth shaft it comes with.

The process took me about 6 hours. You have to remove most everything from the top of the motor (intake spider, fuel bowl, HPOP resevoir) and be careful not to lose any parts. Be extra careful setting the completed Stealth into the valley making sure the new gaskets stay in place. My front gasket got tweaked putting it in and I had a nasty leak and had to tear it all down again to fix but if you are careful its not a problem. Again plan on 6 to 8 hrs from start to finish.

The results of Stealth Big Oil are impressive. It has a much nicer torque curve and no more SES lights. My SOTP dyno says about 50HP just from this mod .

When first starting the truck after installation, it takes a bit for it to fire since there is no oil in the pumps or lines and they have to fill. Make sure to fill your resivoir back up with oil or it won't start at all.

PM me if you have questions. Its well worth it but probably more technical than most people want to mess with so be prepared.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Hated by All

Deputy........how much money do you have in it all together? Would you do it all over again, or just buy the complete kit??

PARIAH

2001 F-350
Resurection has begun.....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 AM
PSN Veteran

I have about $1700 into it since I did 4 lines (lines from Ford are over $100/each )

I am actually getting ready to do another one for my brother but he has a bigger budget than me. I'm gonna have Joey at Terminator set this one up and I will install it for him. I think its less than $900 bucks more and Joey has 2 new pumps.. I have the install down if you need help.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Hated by All

26 hundo.........horsepower has it's price!!!

PARIAH

2001 F-350
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 AM

the kit from terminator is 1995 if you use your own pump
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Hated by All

You know me Greg........I'm just scared!!

PARIAH

2001 F-350
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Ya its pricey but probably one of the best Mods I have done and I think most people with Big Oil will agree
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
the kit from terminator is 1995 if you use your own pump
I'm also throwing the idea around to build units with customer supplied pumps(both shipped to me direct), to make it more affordable. I haven't committed to it yet though, because I hate working with used pumps. I guess you could call it: I Do It for You kit(IDIY kit)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode