?new guy... chip/programer ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

?new guy... chip/programer ?

bought my truck with a 6 gun in it... its ok... but want more what are some of my options? id like somethin with a screen.. edge? sct? diablo? wat bout that banks IQ wats the deal with that... like i said im new to this so js a little help thanks

Chillin The Most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
<--before leveler & block

Re: ?new guy... chip/programer ?

There are TONS of threads on this. Just use the seatch function at the top of your screen. Anything custom tuned like dp-tuner or gearhead or swamps diesel or diesel innovations etc will make a huge difference over the 6 gun

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM
PSN Veteran

heres some good reading for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
Some quiet reading for you to research chips and what will work best FOR YOU and YOUR GOALS.

As for tuners versus chips Tunes you can not switch tunes on the fly you also will be limited to generic tunes or only one maybe two custom tuners and then you will be very limited in your choice again. In just about every way the chip is better choice. One thing that can be of confusion on here if you are somewhat new is the use of the term "tuner". On here we are almost never referring to the device called a "tuner" but the person that actually is writing the tunes themselves for the chips.

I would say, easily, 99%+ of members on here and most other dedicated 7.3 sites use a chip not a tuner.

One other thing to keep in mind: the maker of the popular chip used by many tuners to installed there tunes on is the "TS chip" )6 position chip). But that same manf also sell that chip with generic tunes directly to the public as well. So you will see comments about "TS style chips" from one of the custom tuners you are about to learn about with some reading. You want the ones from the custom tuners not the generic TS chip and tunes directly from TS or others. You will quickly understand the difference with some reading.

Of the various custom tuners out there these are the poplar ones with the best reps. Read the thread links below to learn more about them to help you make your choice:

Custom Tuners:

Swamps (Jonathan)

Gearhead Automotive (Matt)

Beans (Jonathan)

BTS (Cale)

Power Hungry Performance (Bill)

Diesel Innovations (David)

Total Diesel Performance(Tony TW)

Truck Source Diesel

DP Tuner(Jody)

Most every question you can have about chips the tuners who's tunes are run on them should be answered in the threads linked below. Including which is best, this tuner versus that, this chip versus that, etc... If not ask and I am sure you will get answers.

Superchips 1805 vs Custom Chip ? - Powerstroke Nation

Chip vs Programmer - Powerstroke Nation

programmer for an early 99 - Powerstroke Nation

Dp Tuner vs. TS performance - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

After all this... A Cracked Block. - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

best tuner/chip for 02 7.3? - Powerstroke Nation

chip AND programmer??? - Powerstroke Nation

Adrenaline w/ Dp tuner - Powerstroke Nation

Need some opinions - Powerstroke Nation

Another chip question... - Powerstroke Nation

Chips??????? - Powerstroke Nation

looking into getting a TS chip - Powerstroke Nation

What are your thoughts on Powerhungryperformance chips - Powerstroke Nation

Looking for a new chip - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

Piston Star Patterns - continued - Discuss - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

looking for another progammer - Powerstroke Nation

STACKING TUNERS CAN YOU GUYS EXPLAIN - Powerstroke Nation

Recommendations on Tuners - Powerstroke Nation

Are flip-chips harmful to PCM's? - Powerstroke Nation

99.5 wanting to get a chip - Powerstroke Nation

PHP tuner and the fun times you can have with it! - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

High miles and new chip? - Powerstroke Nation

DpTuner - Powerstroke Nation

chip questions - Powerstroke Nation

TW tuning ? - Powerstroke Nation

more power? - Powerstroke Nation

Need more Powa! - Powerstroke Nation

TS CHIP TUNES - Powerstroke Nation

Empire tunes? - Powerstroke Nation

just got my new tuner have a question??? - Powerstroke Nation

bdp custom 7.3 tuning - Powerstroke Nation

chip installation - Powerstroke Nation

Tony Wildman Tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Best Tuner - Powerstroke Nation

TUNING - Powerstroke Nation

so its time for tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Gearhead Automotive Performance Customers! - Powerstroke Nation

pricing out a chip and have some ?'s - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

02 f250

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSoot View Post
bought my truck with a 6 gun in it... its ok... but want more what are some of my options? id like somethin with a screen.. edge? sct? diablo? wat bout that banks IQ wats the deal with that... like i said im new to this so js a little help thanks
Hey man. Looks like you're looking for something with a sceen.

Rob nor the other guy actually read the thread obviously....

If you want something nice with a screen, a great option is [email protected] He now deals the Edge style CS(color screen) or CTS(color touch screen). He can put custom tunes onto the Edge style monitor, and you'll have the best of both worlds. A cool screen, and the piece of mind that custom tunes give.

http://www.powerhungryperformance.com

Bill, Corey, and Cody are really great to do buisness with as well.

Good luck!

P.S. Where are you located?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
<--before leveler & block

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
Hey man. Looks like you're looking for something with a sceen.

Rob nor the other guy actually read the thread obviously....
Appologies...I forgot about what you said about the screen. And yes power hungry can put tunes on the edge.

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 AM
PSN Veteran

What is the reason for wanting the screen as there maybe other options or setups to get what you are looking for.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 AM
PSN Veteran

and what happens if someone breaks into your truck and steals it cause they think its a gps?

02 f250
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

its all ok... i was lookin at all those links and was starting to think i dont know wat im getting in to... i foun the 7.3 as it sits in the pic... i know it has..... ats tranny rebuild... 6 gun... 4in down pipe to 5 in exaust strait pipe... idk wat brand but a big cone style intake js kinda sittin there(was lookin at maby gettin something different).. lower gears... idk wat number tho. and also i could show u a pic of the turbo... i dont think its stock, its a garret but polished and louder then any of my buddies but idk. like i said im new to this and wanna get facts down befor a go buyin anything and get screwd

Chillin The Most
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

and i js like the screen lol and ill js hope no one steals it

Chillin The Most
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSoot View Post
its all ok... i was lookin at all those links and was starting to think i dont know wat im getting in to... i foun the 7.3 as it sits in the pic... i know it has..... ats tranny rebuild... 6 gun... 4in down pipe to 5 in exaust strait pipe... idk wat brand but a big cone style intake js kinda sittin there(was lookin at maby gettin something different).. lower gears... idk wat number tho. and also i could show u a pic of the turbo... i dont think its stock, its a garret but polished and louder then any of my buddies but idk. like i said im new to this and wanna get facts down befor a go buyin anything and get screwd
Sounds like you have a 38R if its not stock or it could have a polished up or dif housing and still be stock.

Programmers( screens) are cool looking and nice for seeing numbers and codes etc but for what the core job is they are subpar compared to chips. You can shift tunes on the fly with a chip can not with a programmer. That is a huge one trust me. The tunes that come on all stock of them will be very harsh on your tranny and HPOP etc. Now you can do better by getting one that Bill of PHP can install custom tunes on for you. But if you live in suburbs or city it has a very good chance of getting stolen better than it has of not IMO. That also means broken window locks etc that goes with it.

One way to do it woudl be to get a chip form on of the tuners on the list linked up there( do some reading trust me). Then find a used screen to buy for pennys on the dollar. Use the screen for all the data points and cool factory stuff and the chip for the tuning.

For the gearing. You can figure out by a number of ways. GPS mph and rpm computed or jack up the rear mark tire and drive shaft and make a few turns till you get even numbers for ease and compute it.

What makes you think its got different gearing? Tire size? RPM/mph?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode