New tunes and questions. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Back to Civilian Life!!

New tunes and questions.

I just got my TW chip in and tested it out. My heavy tow tune can do just over 1400* and I have not tested my extreme yet. What kinda numbers are you all seeing with tunes from him on stock injectors. I mean it does not bother me at all I can watch a gauge and keep it under control without complaining. Just curious. O truck runs awesome especially after not having my chip in for a month, now next is to start just a simple Forged rod engine for a set of 250/200s!

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: New tunes and questions.

IMHO, its a custom chip for a reason. If you would like some fuel pulled out call Tony up and asking him to or discuss the situation. I would not want especially my heavy tow tune to be hitting 1400 degree without a load or lugging. Its no big deal. If you want to be a bit cooler call up and ask. I think Tony tends to fuel a bit heavier than some.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Back to Civilian Life!!

No it does not bother me at all. I love his tunes so far and the trans strategy is awesome! I have no problem running my truck up to the 1350 to 1400 limit. Its not a big deal I mean when I had my stage IIs I would beat on my truck and run it up to 1600 a few times. Its whatever, running PMRs in my truck is enough of a risk so if something else happens and I still have a good block on top of the other one I already have its a deal.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Banning Smut

I wouldnt sweat it too bad. I will throw this out there. When we pulled my motor to do HGs/studs at 100k miles, all the pistons had cracks at 12 and 6. This was with 50k modded miles. 14-1500 max EGT hit a couple dozen times...

But we put it back together and rolled with it. I then cracked the block in less than 2 months. lol

Just watch the gauges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Back to Civilian Life!!

Im not worried about it. I dont know how my motor has lived this long. After my issue with a injector hold down bolt breaking at 75MPH and hydrolocking the motor. Nothing bent or broke some how some way.....

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:48 AM
PSN Veteran

I do not think a tow tune should be breaking 1400 unloaded full boost WOT. What will it be with a trailer pulling a grade?

IMO they are multi position with different setting for a reason. Race tune hot street tune I get it. We go custom for a reason so we can get better perf and safety and have the tunes dialed in for our specific engine setups.

I tend to wonder what the posts woudl look like if this had been a generic tune or chip? I am sure the post and recommendations would be very different.

Just say'n

Yes there are many other reasons not to run the others but you get my point.

I am sure a quick call and discussion with Tony would get the tunes dialed in so egts would not be an issue. These are labeled custom chips for a reason right?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Back to Civilian Life!!

Now I just want everybody to understand and not get the wrong impression I am NOT COMPLAINING at all. I was just curious. TW tunes so far are freakin awesome. Who knows, I have 200K on factory injectors and also may have a leak in my uppies. Who knows I mean I can only hit 25 or so PSI and I have a fooler so it might be the truck not the tunes. Just curious as to what all it could be so I can look at the big picture and maybe tighten a few bolts here and figure out it was my up pipes leaking a tad.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
PSN Veteran

I do not think anyone thinks yo are complaining. But lets say the egts are too high posting about the issue is far from trashing TW. You have a 38R correct? If this is the case then I would say yes without a doubt you have an issue if you are only able to get 25 psi with tunes and are seeing hot egts as you are in tunes that should not create those numbers in that situation. What injectors are you running. I do not see it in your sig but seem to recall something about stage IIs before.

I woudl say do a bit more testing and see where boost and egts are in the various tunes. Then look for boost or up pipes or exhaust manifold leaks. If all of that checks out give Tony a call and have him look over the tunes. With you old chip what kind of boost and egts where you seeing. Not sure how you could be happy with the power if you are only getting 25 psi boost. You should really be happy then when its into the mid to upper 30s.

Do you have any data logging equipment?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Here for the party....

I'm just throwing this out there...I have stock 211k mile sticks and turbo, and with matts tunes, the only ones that break 1300 are the 140 and 140 with smoke control...I can pull my 8k lb pressure washer trailer in my "street muscle" tune wot and not break 1200, and that is with leaking uppipes. Both my light and heavy tow tunes do not break 1100 degrees...it's the way his tunes are set.

2015 Chevrolet Tahoe, Crystal Red Tintcoat, LOADED
2014 Ford Mustang GT, 5.0, Race Red, 6 speed

Currently Stroke-less
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

a 4" DP for that 38R will help lower them temp's some...

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode