how to tell injectors? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

how to tell injectors?

i bought my truck a few months ago from a guy that had done some aftermarket/performance stuff to it... now keep in mind im a newbie but i do a little bit of studying on these trucks. what my question is, my truck is a late 99, is there any way other than popping the valve covers to see if i have stock injectors or if he had something bigger put in? my reason for asking is im using the superchips cortex tuner that the dealer threw in with the truck. some tunes absolutely dont get along with the truck. right now im on the mileage tune, if i start the truck below 30degrees outside, it pours white smoke and lopes like some of the lope tunes ive seen on here. on a normal day, the damn thing can fill the 4 way stop in my town from one end to the other with black smoke... personally id prefer it didnt, but my fix for that right now is a light foot. we decided to put the tuner on a friends totally stock late 99, absolutely idenctical to mine except longbed. his truck runs just fine on all the tunes, and doesnt smoke too awful bad at all and starts just fine. i want to find out if i have aftermarket injectors before i tear something up by not running a tune written for them. if i have to pop a valve cover i will, great excuse to do a ccv mod anyway.

99.5 f-250 cc 4x4 lariat, 4" turbo back, silverline 6" tip, 3"lift 36" hummer tires. superchips cortex, built tranny, k&n intake tube with oversize filter/sock w/filterminder, WW, banks bighead, tons of chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM
I like turtles

Re: how to tell injectors?

There is no way to tell cause all aftermarket injectors use stock outer parts. Only way that might show a hint is if they are something diffrent then ad codes. Your best bet would be to send one to a injector builder and have hime check it out.

08 duramax ccsb efi live, air dog 2, isspros, 5 inch exhaust and some other cool things. 2001 duramax 2wd (Project truck)
Once had a signature that had some bad ass stuff on it. Now its back to crap.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i can do that, who can i send it to?

99.5 f-250 cc 4x4 lariat, 4" turbo back, silverline 6" tip, 3"lift 36" hummer tires. superchips cortex, built tranny, k&n intake tube with oversize filter/sock w/filterminder, WW, banks bighead, tons of chrome.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I like turtles

Nate at unlimited would be my first choice. Nate had to look at mine and helped me big time.
Next would be rosewood. talk to Jim

The problem is until you know what those injectors are a tuner wont burn you a chip.

08 duramax ccsb efi live, air dog 2, isspros, 5 inch exhaust and some other cool things. 2001 duramax 2wd (Project truck)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Village Idiot

What kind of injector they are and Flow rates would matter more to me
Then who built them. (Which is what your saying, but thought it should be spelled out just in case) Any vendor can flow test them or have them tested , replace any bad orings etc..
Nate,bean,di rosewood swamps etc...all depends on who your closest to and how much inj service or sales they do.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

it almost sounds like it would be easier in the long run to just buy a new set to my liking, that way i can just have these sent out and rebuilt or whatever and keep them on the shelf, downtime is kindof important. will these shops you guys are talking about check and rebuild an injector put together by someone else?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
PSN Veteran

it would be easier and cheaper to just pull the injectors you have now and have them sent out and flowed and gone through then buying new ones that are of your liking, be cheaper since you will be keeping yours and you will have to pay a core charge for the new ones.

also it would be better off to get rid of the cortex and buy a chip that is burnt for the injectors you have, once you find out what they are.

02 f250
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I like turtles

Yes they would. Have you seen how much 7.3 injectors go for? Plus new sets need cores. Where are you located? I know alot of these guys can check them in a day and send them back.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

im in west central IL.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
PSN Veteran

unlimited and rosewood are both in ohio and both do great work.

02 f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode