Truck is noticably more sluggish and smoky when engine is warm and it's hot outside. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Truck is noticably more sluggish and smoky when engine is warm and it's hot outside.

I'd love to hear opinions and others experience on this.

Basically my truck definitely smokes a lot more on these 95 degree days than it did when it was 60 degrees a couple of months ago. It's also noticably slower in this weather.

It also smokes more once that engine gets fully up to temperature.

I'd like to hear opinions and experience from other guys on this topic.

If this simply due to less dense intake air?

Is it because my air intake system intakes underhood hot air?

Could it be a programming issue where the computer is adding a bunch of advance when things are cold by looking at the AIT sensor?

Thanks.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:43 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Truck is noticably more sluggish and smoky when engine is warm and it's hot outsi

Not enough dif in air temps under the hood versus out especially when moving to be the issue. Not sayings its not the over all temp change though. You guys never get winter diesel so its not some change like that.

Do you notice a difference from driving at night when its in the low 80s ?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Re: Truck is noticably more sluggish and smoky when engine is warm and it's hot outsi

Probably something as simple as oxygen density in the air... someone should do a experiment somehow if they could find out the oxygen level in 60* air, and then in 110* air.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I'd love to hear opinions and others experience on this.

Basically my truck definitely smokes a lot more on these 95 degree days than it did when it was 60 degrees a couple of months ago. It's also noticably slower in this weather.

It also smokes more once that engine gets fully up to temperature.

I'd like to hear opinions and experience from other guys on this topic.

If this simply due to less dense intake air?

Is it because my air intake system intakes underhood hot air?

Could it be a programming issue where the computer is adding a bunch of advance when things are cold by looking at the AIT sensor?

Thanks.
Here's a some what lengthy explination:

Density of air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep in mind to that under hood temps, even while moving, are MUCH hotter than you think. The air getting past your front grill has to pass through the trans or oil cooler (or both), A/C condensor, intercooler, and your radiator before getting to the engine compartment. It's not uncommon to see underhood air temps over 200 degrees.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Paul

Did your uppies start leaking?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Mine is completely opposite. Mine will smoke like crazy when the motor is cold and its cold outside.

2002 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 7.3 Mostly stock... for now

2003 Ford Ranger Fx4 Level ll Sonic Blue with 33s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfighter View Post
I'm getting it in the can right now!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarker View Post
Here's a some what lengthy explination:

Density of air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep in mind to that under hood temps, even while moving, are MUCH hotter than you think. The air getting past your front grill has to pass through the trans or oil cooler (or both), A/C condensor, intercooler, and your radiator before getting to the engine compartment. It's not uncommon to see underhood air temps over 200 degrees.
That was tested a number of times by people and only while stationary were temp much higher. Only when stationary are temps hotter. Once moving temps were with 10 degrees. Not only that but these are turbo charged systems. Air gets super heated, while compressed anyway.) then through the CAC, (Charge air cooler) and cooled back down a certain %. It is NOT a 1:1 ratio of temp in and temp out. The dif should be completely absorbed in its effect on engine power. IIRC the dif at the manifold from a CAI versus open underhood was 5 degrees at the manifold. The info and testing was posted over at TDS a couple years ago when the Tymar and DIY 6637 became popular

What about your fuel temps. Sitting in the heat the fuel is already at a higher temp. But I would think that would actually reduce smoking as you are getting less energy per volume so I an not sure. It could be as simple as you are no longer able ti run the 30% bio you were as I recall you posting about that. Maybe you need a tune tweak. Or you can try Schaeffer's Bio Shield Premium. Cost about the same as the added bio with the same effect plus a 2-3 points up in cetane rating which bio actually lowers. I use it and get 1-1.5 mpg improvement but what really notice is it quiets down the injectors like running heavy bio does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode