38r question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to rider2xtreme93
38r question

just a question as to i was wondering, if i wanted to put a 38r in what would i need to upgrade? or i can i use stock sticks and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:49 AM
<--before leveler & block

Re: 38r question

no need to upgrade anything. A 38r is a very nice turbo all the way up to 500 hp i belive and is still just as driveable if not more driveable than a stock turbo at stock power levels

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker2 View Post
no need to upgrade anything. A 38r is a very nice turbo all the way up to 500 hp i belive and is still just as driveable if not more driveable than a stock turbo at stock power levels

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 AM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

You won't notice the full benefits of it without the upgrades, but you'll be fine with stock stuff.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 AM
PSN Veteran

There will be a little more lag with the 38r than the stock turbo, on stock sticks at least.

Go ahead and go with the 1.15 non wastegated housing

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Need a ride.

I say go for it, I got one running stock sticks for now and its just a great upgrade for towing and everyday cruising. Very nice pronounced whistle too.

03 F-250 7.3 XLT CC SB Auto 38R, S-B Intake, 4 inch MBRP Duals, Regulated Return, J Wood VB, DP Tuner, Isspros 3 Pillar, Terminator Scan Gauge, DS Coolant Filter, HPX
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
There will be a little more lag with the 38r than the stock turbo, on stock sticks at least.

Go ahead and go with the 1.15 non wastegated housing
I dont think there would be much more lag then the stock turbo... Remember it is a BB turbo not a JB like the stock turbo is.

And way put on a 1.15 housing if not needed.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Metal - It kicks your ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
I dont think there would be much more lag then the stock turbo... Remember it is a BB turbo not a JB like the stock turbo is.

And way put on a 1.15 housing if not needed.
Same here... Unless you plan on going with bigger injectors soon then you don't need the 1.15 housing. If you do go with it the turbo will just take longer to light with stock injectors and you may end up not liking how laggy it is.

Modded L99

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

When I first put the 38r on my orange truck with stock injectors, I didn't notice any more lag.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post
When I first put the 38r on my orange truck with stock injectors, I didn't notice any more lag.

Me neither, and I live at high altitude. Lag is the same as a bone stock turbo.

I still currently run the 38r with stock injectors.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode