Should I be worried about this? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

Should I be worried about this?

The other day i peered into my fender well while the engine was idling, and saw that the ATI crank dampener wasnt spinning very true. I checked it today just to see, and to my surprise there wasnt much holding it on... got it off and found out that four of the flush mount pan style bolts were snapped off, the remaining two were very loose, and the three 12pt bolts that protrude past the surface, two of them were loose as hell. This explains why last week swapping injectors i found the head of one of these broken bolts IN THE VALLEY of the engine. All the bolts were loc tited on installation when i built the engine. Should i be worried that something internal is making these bolts break, or just some crappy bolts and bad luck?

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 PM
PSN Local

Re: Should I be worried about this?

I wonder if bad runout could have caused that?

I'm not trying to sound like a Jacka$$ (honestly), but when you installed it, did you follow the torque spec pattern to the "t"? I've not installed one of these before, but from reading the instructions, it looks like it's quite a dance chart to follow.

Sure glad you caught it when you did. That would have been a nasty CF to be stuck with on the side of the road!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

Not sure about the runout, or if it was faulty from the factory, but i had the machine shop hone the inner section to the crank shaft when i had them balance the rotating assembly, and yes the torque spec was followed to a T as the instruction manual stated, i was surprised that the bolts required such little torquing.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 AM
PSN Local

I'm with you on that! The torque spec did seem really light to me too. I guess that since there are so many fasteners, they don't want to over torque for fear of affecting runout and therefore balance? I guessed on runout only because the stock unit suggests a runout test, but I don't see any reference to it on ATI's site.

From reading some of the hotrod site threads, sounds like you might want to check runout on the ATI, then pull it off and check the end of the crank. How many miles are on it since you had the work done?

If you get in touch with ATI, I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say about it...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

50 people now, anyone else have anything to say?

Stock
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
PSN Veteran

get a hold of ati, see what they have to say, as well as who ever did your machining

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Crazy Redneck

Glad I bought a fluidamper.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

The machine shop didn't balance it with the ATI damper on there did they?

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
PSN Local

I have used ATI super damper on all my race motors , some have seen over 10k and i have never seen this problem before. You did use blue loc tite right , not the red? I dont think this is a run out problem , i think this is a harmonic problem in the damper itself. You have a lifetime warranty on that damper .... you need to send it back to ATI to get i checked out and make sure it is still balanced within 2/10ths of a gram.On another note the inertia weight centers itself the first time you rev the motor to 2000rpm ... if that weight didnt center ... it could easily cause this. Do yourself a favor and send it to ATI.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 AM
PSN Veteran

If it is actually loose I woudl think very much like a wheel as it came loose the added stress of it wobbling could have sheared off some of the bolts and screws. Would be intertested in why they backed out to begin with. If all were installed to spec.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode