Fuel system help PLEASE - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Fuel system help PLEASE

Im in the middle of doing my build. Cab is up and have almost everything in but I cannot figure out the fuel system. I have a intank 5/8 pickup (installed) and the lines and hoses here to go up to the fuel lab. But how/where do I run the line out of the fuel lab on top of the motor I have 1/2 of the NO bowl delete RR kit installed as well all of this is from ITP. I am putting a airdog in front of the fuel lab which he sent me 5/8s fittings for it. I also cant figure out where to run the 3/8s from the top of the motor back to what/where for the return? I have the return line made up for the airdog back to the filter neck. And I only have (3) 5/8s in 5/8s out fittings dont i need 4? 2 for in and out of ad and 2 for in and out of fuel lab? and (1) 5/8 to 3/8s adapter which I have no clue where it goes?? And then that leaves me with (2) 3/8 90* brass elbows and one brass 3/8 in and out fitting which I also have no clue where it needs to go?? Any help would be great. Sorry if I sound retared Ive been up for about 3 days working on this. I knew the I would have trouble w/ the fuel system I just had hoped not this much Sorry about posting this in the 6.0 section earlier

00 f250 some stuff done always more to do.
Best advice I have seen on here "If you cant afford to build it right you certainly cant afford to build it twice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 02:00 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
Re: Fuel system help PLEASE

I think you actually need to get some rest and take a break from it you sound frazzled. I took your post and tried to break it down a bit to hopefully make it easier to get some answers.

Im in the middle of doing my build. Cab is up and I have almost everything in but I cannot figure out the fuel system.

I have an in tank 5/8 pickup (installed) and the lines and hoses here to go up to the fuel lab.

But how/where do I run the line out of the fuel lab on top of the motor?
I have 1/2 of the NO bowl delete RR kit installed from ITP.
I also cant figure out where to run the 3/8s from the top of the motor back to what/where for the return?

I am putting an AirDog in front of the fuel lab which he sent me 5/8s fittings for it. I have the return line made up for the AirDog back to the filter neck. I only have (3) 5/8s in 5/8s out fittings dont I need 4? (2 for in and out of Airdog and 2 for in and out of Fuel Lab) I also have one 5/8 to 3/8 adapter, two 3/8 90* brass elbows and one 3/8 brass in and out fitting I have no clue where it goes.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Ya you do sound like you are a bit frustrated and a bit confused.

One thing that will assist people helping you is what you actually have purchased being clear.

As I understand it

You purchase from ITP:

High Performance Fuel Delivery Kit

7.3L "Bowl Delete" Regulated Return Kit

AirDog "Standard" I figure its not the ADII as you have the Fuel Lab.

Also some extra fittings etc to join the Air Dog into the line between the tank and the Fuel Lab.

Last edited by TARM; 05-24-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Removed un-needed question

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 AM
PSN Veteran

co04cobra,

Check you PM.

I hope its of some help for you. Do not worry you will get it all installed correctly.

Dennis makes on of the best looking, highest quailty kits I have seen or installed. It will come together. Don't forget Dennis is just a call away and can take you thru this in his sleep.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Village Idiot

your best bet is to talk with dennis , cause i kinda got lost on the final steps of this myself,
so bear with me beacause i want to figure this out as well.
so let me retrace where you are now.

also remember,
When installing tapered pipe thread fittings in pipe thread ports, DO NOT FORCE this can lead to cracking the port! I have seen this crack a few heads before. so take your time.

I am thinking you have
itp pickup 5/8 to
(- a prefilter base,you may or may not have this, if not skip)
5/8 in to the air dog ,5/8 out, more fuel line
5/8 to the fuel lab , you can prob go 5/8 or 1/2" to the fb delete block.
I am thinking this only needs to be 1/2 and is why you only have 3- 5/8 fittings
then use supplied parts to each head. (pre bent lines going to/ heads to the reg and fb delete block, which i think you already have installed )

now from ITP fb delete instructions comes
Quote:
"You are now left with needing to make the connections to the supply and return ports. Fuel supply (from your fuellab pump) will enter the top of the ITP Fuel Bowl Delete block. We’ve(itp) supplied a #6 Male JIC fitting and recommend using a hose with a 90 end to make the cleanest connection.

Fuel return (from the engine back to the tank) comes from the bottom of the
regulator. We’ve (itp) again supplied a #6 Male JIC fitting, but here we recommend a hose with a 45 fitting to make a nice clean arc up out of the valley.
You will need to source other parts to complete these connections as they are not included in this kit."
So
I am thinking you just need to get a 1/2 conector for the fuelab out
some 1/2 line to run from the fuel lab to the fb delete.
Now I would add some kind of a 2-3 micron filter on this line to protect your injectors from any crud. but put this closer to the fb delete block, like right under floor bords.

but your still left with return line off the fb delete block, going to the reg , and the line going to the tank.
This I'd have to say talk with dennis, he can put it in terms easy to follow. ( i kinda got lost here too)

I think I have followed where you are with the install, you just need a few more odds and ends.
but will have an awsome fuel system.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 AM
PSN Veteran

The kit actually uses a -6 an from the fuel pump to the delete block. Check the website and it states it as such. That is why he has a 5/8 to 3/8 fitting. Take a look at Dennis High perf Fuel system Kit on the site.

Based on what I know this is how I think it should go.
Its 10 an fitting and hose from the tank to the -10an fitting @the air dog -10an fitting and hose out of Air Dog -10an fitting and hose out of air dog into -10an fitting of the fuel lab. Out of the fuel lab a -10an to -6an adapter fitting to -6an hose up to bowl delete block that should have a 3/8 JIC fitting which he can connect to with a 90 degree 3/8" fitting. He needs to finish the rest of the RR install. Then he stated he has 3/8 hose for the return. If this is true then that gets run from the regulator back to the tank.

The part that got me was the use of -6an for hose form pump to manifold (delete block) Personally I would have used at least 1/2 but I have never actually done true flow numbers to know if its really needed as we tend to over build so much.

Here's what it lists for the: ITP High Performance Fuel Delivery Kit

* FueLab Prodigy 41401 Fuel Pump
* ITP Rubber Isolated T-304 S.S. Fuel Pump Mounting Bracket w/Hardware
* ITP 5/8" S.S. Tank Pickup Assembly
* #10 Fuel Line and Fittings from Tank to Pump
* #6 Fuel Line and Fittings from Pump to Stock Engine Filter
* ITP Custom Relay Controlled Fuel Pump Wiring harness

10 is 5/8
8 is 1/2
6 is 3/8

He has combined, as far as I can tell, this fuel system kit with the Air dog and RR fuel kit with bowl delete to make a complete system kit or very close to it which I think makes one very nice system.
I only have that one exception to it with the line from pump to RR. With instruction to use the original factory feed line as the return. But I am not the expert by any means.

Looking at the kit unless he purchased extra 3/8 hose I think he was thinking it was for the return but it was for the pump to block. In fact he may need to connect to either the factory feed line @ 3/8 as the return or the smaller factory return line.

The Air dog will cover his filtering needs although personally I would have one 2 mic post pump but it still good. The AD acts as a lift pump for the FL which will allow it to run even easier taking away the need extra power to flow thru the filters.

Set the reg at 65 max psi and use the blowdown tube provided to boost reference the reg to 45 psi until boost starts to come up where it would curve up to 65+/- max psi. System should will easily do that.

But as I said in the PM and above if there are any questions at all give Dennis a call.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Busy Busy

Wow really frazzled!

Dennis should be able to help!

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Village Idiot

The part i donlt get , is on the normal rr kit you go fuel bowl to the reg to the tank.
Now add in the fb delete block to a reg kit, why does it not include a hose to go from the port on the delete block? Unless it doesn't run that way.
Also since the air dog runs a return back to the tan I believe you actually tee the return line in, possibly even ad a check valve....or atleast I thought I have seen that before.

basically not understaning the return system cause I haven't planned delete the fb on my truck, I do like the airdog though.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 AM
PSN Veteran

IS it done yet Seth?

Waiting.....

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
Now add in the fb delete block to a reg kit, why does it not include a hose to go from the port on the delete block? Unless it doesn't run that way.Take a look at the instructions on his site under documentation button up top Here is quote from the instructions:

You are now left with needing to make the connections to the supply and return ports. Fuel supply (from your fuel pump) will enter the top of the ITP Fuel Bowl Delete block. We’ve supplied a #6 Male JIC fitting and recommend using a hose with a 90 end to make the cleanest connection. Fuel return (from the engine back to the tank) comes from the bottom of the regulator. We’ve again supplied a #6 Male JIC fitting, but here we recommend a hose with a 45 fitting to make a nice clean arc up out of the valley. You will need to source other parts to complete these connections as they are not included in this kit. This would also account for those 2 3/8 90 degree fittings. They were add so one for the 90 recommend into the block and the other for the return out of the reg

Also since the air dog runs a return back to the tank I believe you actually tee the return line in, possibly even ad a check valve....or at least I thought I have seen that before. The instruction on this usually have them going into the tank fill tube hose.

basically not understanding the return system cause I haven't planned delete the fb on my truck, I do like the airdog though.

System is very close to how my next DIY fuel system is going to be going in. Much of it copied off Marty but with a few mods. Still I think with only a couple mods for me personally I think this is a awesome setup.

Its nice Dennis offering this as now you can get a complete system from him that connects all the kits he had together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode