38R or H2E? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

38R or H2E?

I'm deciding on what turbo upgrade i want to do. I've heard a lot of good thing on the 38R and the H2E.

I have stage 2 injectors from rosewood diesel (160 or 180cc cant remember off the top of my head). I will upgrading my tranny and hpop before I do the turbo so i have some time to decide which route i want to go.

Basically this is my work truck/fun toy. I use this truck for towing quite a bit. I usually tow around 15k on a gooseneck. So not real heavy, but not exactly light loads.

So my question is this. How is the 38R for towing applications versus the H2E? I'm thinking the H2E will be better as it glows more air. But has anyone pulled a lot with a 38R

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to upgrade my injectors to hybrids or stage 3's down the road (but the bug could bight again and I may want more power). I know the 38R will work well for stage 2's but from what i've read that's about as much as they will handle?

Any insight on these turbos will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM
A Ghost these days...

Re: 38R or H2E?

I have not ran an H2E, but I do have a 38R....

The 38R is a great towing turbo as far as I can tell. I have towed some HEAVY loads with the 38R and hybrids and it keeps up well. They are really tough turbos.

Only reason I would say go for the H2E kit is for turbo choices. There are many choices to choose from with that style of turbo.

So 38R if your wanting to save a little money and will not be going with bigger injectors.

H2E kit if you have the coin and there is a chance you will want more power one day.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
ARMY bound

H2E

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
I have not ran an H2E, but I do have a 38R....

The 38R is a great towing turbo as far as I can tell. I have towed some HEAVY loads with the 38R and hybrids and it keeps up well. They are really tough turbos.

Only reason I would say go for the H2E kit is for turbo choices. There are many choices to choose from with that style of turbo.

So 38R if your wanting to save a little money and will not be going with bigger injectors.

H2E kit if you have the coin and there is a chance you will want more power one day.
Thanks.
I guess the H2E is only 6-700 more than the 38R. So whats another 700 more when your already spending a lot of coin right? Saving that money is the real reason why i want to condiser the 38R.

What HP can the 38R support? Is 400 about it's max?
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM
A Ghost these days...

Trey just put down 530 on a dyno with one I believe. They are good to about 550 id say.... Maybe more with spray

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

I put down 520hp and 926tq last year and 516hp and 1121tq this year with my 38r.

They are GOOD turbos and I tow heavy with mine from time to time with no issues. Its all about how good the tuning is

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

geeze 500+ hp with a 38R? That's pretty stout. Sounds like i would have room with the 38R to do some mild hybrids down the road if I wanted to.

What hp will the H2E support?
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

hey big stroker your pretty close to me. I'm in Lizton Indana which is 20 miles west of indy. Maybe 2 hours from you.

Would it be possible to meet up so i can check out the truck? I would like to see what 500 hp is like in these rigs. I've been trying to find someone locally who is doing some mods to thier psd's. I have a 97 OBS auto, but close enough to the same thing to give me an idea.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
PSN Veteran

h2e or qssb

2008 F-250 FX4 cc,4x4

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone1 View Post
hey big stroker your pretty close to me. I'm in Lizton Indana which is 20 miles west of indy. Maybe 2 hours from you.

Would it be possible to meet up so i can check out the truck? I would like to see what 500 hp is like in these rigs. I've been trying to find someone locally who is doing some mods to thier psd's. I have a 97 OBS auto, but close enough to the same thing to give me an idea.
Sure do you ever get over near Muncie or Anderson?

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode