Amsoil Bypass Need Help Please!!! - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 AM
CtG
PSN Veteran

Re: Amsoil Bypass Need Help Please!!!

Make sure there are no obstructions in the hoses or in the new filter base? A bypass setup is a great idea if you can get it squared away.

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM
PSN Local

When you get back take some photos of the install so we can help you out...

If you live in AZ come join us at Arizona Powerstroke Group... Click here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99.5 F-350 BTS Trans / Termys / Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors / Swamps IDM / GT38R BB Turbo / AFE Stage 2 / DP/ Evans Coolant, ART Rotors / Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust, Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Village Idiot

You did have the old filter on eh...
Iir it should just have two lines that attach at two ports near the oem filter.
You still use the old filter you just divert some oil to the bypass to treat it.
But good to hear your up n running try again when you return.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 AM
PSN Veteran

Whatever you do I sure would not try running it again unless you can for sure see a mistake you made in the install. I have never been in favor of the dual setups as you are messing with the full flow filters as well. I am a 100% beleiver in bypass fitler and have had them on all my vechiles but they were alwasy only a bypass never a bypass + full flow relocation.

First we are speking of the dual bypass? Which is a two fitler base with one repalcing te full flow fitler and also the addtion of the bypass filters? Or One filter bypass base where you still use the factory oil filter location and the bypass base only has one fitler locations?

Something is not set up correctly or a part is defective. Properly setup a bypass only pulls(bypasses) 10%, no more, oil from the flow. It adds a number of quarts of oil depending on the bypass setup. Make sure you did add the extra oil to account for the extra filter hose and base. If you did not do that you certainly can and will have an issue. The other possiblity but not sure of is if you have the setup backwards (hoses connected backwards). You have the correct hoses. If you have the dual bypass possibly a defect inthe base not allwing the proper flow.

Correctly setup a bypasa does not negatively effect the engine oil flow but signifincatly helps with having clean oil down to single micron levels and increases engine life and longer OCI. Also increases total oil capacity.

Based on what you describe you had oil restriction and that was shown inthe hpop being starved and getting very low pressure and running like crap. Either to much oil was being sent to the actual bypass filters or there was a restriction of the total oil or oil thru the full flow side of the setup.

Double check each and every line to be sure you ahve cnnected it to exactly the correct ports. Check each filter and mke sure they are the correct filters for your 7.3. If all f that is 100% confirmed correct. Call amsoil and find out what they have to say. Unless they can point at something wrong in the installation you do that is not good at all. Can you imagine if you had gotten just enough oil and driven it hard etc, how much damage it could possibly have caused to your engine. They have had trouble in the past with their dual setup for exactly the restrictive oil flow issue but they suposedly had correct this issue a couple of years ago. I sure would want to know just how restricted the oil was as how knows if damage was done to your bearings etc that may casued decreased life. Hooking it up to some fluid pump to see how bad the flow was.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Displaced Mountain Man

I agree with the others; check your lines for blockage. You mentioned that you had the system for about 6 months..possibly something got into the lines (if they were exposed) to create an obstruction. I know that in Texas those damn "mud dobbers" have gotten into spare hoses that I have had laying around and built their mud cocoons inside them. :mad

I have run the bypass system for several years now without any issues, and mounted my filters inside the frame back by my t-case. It is a great set-up and I hope that you can get it to work for you.

'01 Excursion, Bullydog Powerpup, 4" exhaust w delete, K&N FiPK, Procomp 4' lift, Billet TC, Centerline 17x9, 35" BFG AT, Amsoil w bypass, 1st rebuild on tranny

By June: WOP GQSSB, Carson's H2E kit, PHP FU2, Adrenaline, AFE Big Boost, CCV/AIH mod, 203* T-stat, 37" Toyo MT, Autometer C2 gauges.

By Xmas: 238/80% injectors
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Power by IH

Send a message via Yahoo to Stroked550

iirc, the dual bypass kit that amsoil sells does not flow nearly enough for the 7.3's. The single is fine but the dual setup shouldn't be used.

2000 F-550 CC, 2wd, 6 speed. Homemade bed, 5" exhaust, DP chip, water inj, intake, gauges, ect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
PSN Veteran

That was the issues with earlier models that were suppose to have been correct some time ago. It did seem to be the case as I have seen number of people running them without flow issues. But with these dual setups its taking a bit more of a a risk because if there is a manf defect as it seems there maybe possibly in this case you are effecting your oils full flow. I would have hoped Amsoil would test each of these types of units given what can happen should one be bad. Complete engine rebuilds are not exactly cheap. Its why I do not like them and prefer the bypass only setups. Who knows if damage was done to the ops bearing camshaft etc if it caused only 10% oil flow or whatever restriction. That is why I strongly recommend he should, if he finds its a defective unit, test it himself or by an independent third party to see what kind of flow it did or didn't allow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode