having a forged motor rebuild should i get it balanced? - Page 3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: having a forged motor rebuild should i get it balanced?

didnt think about that does it make a difference? whats the norm?

Rick

2002 F250 CC LB - 5" lift, BTS, 4.10s+trutrac, 250/100s, studs, pushrods, dual springs, ITP RR, 2 SD pumps, Beans plenums, Balanced, Blueprinted and cryod bottom, ported heads, GH 1.5 cam, 4" Exhaust, 6.0 trans cooler

OTW- S366/s483 compounds, 20x10 black hostages + 37 13.50 toyos, fresh BTS, Live tuning, And maybe an srp 1.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 AM
Village Idiot

Somewhere I remember someone saying it may be better to have the weight balanced with an eek more on the pistons....something to the effect of having stored energy, good for pullin etc . Any truth to that dave or anyone.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
How much extra weight is the machinist taking into account for the weight of the oil being sprayed onto the bottom of the pistons?
Wow i would have never thought of that. But does it matter? Normaly from my understanding they just make all the hard parts the same. I would think that would be inconsistant and nothing you could control. I may be very wrong School me.

2000 F350 CC SB Lariate
Afew exstras
All brought together by Tony Wildman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
green member

Quote:
How much extra weight is the machinist taking into account for the weight of the oil being sprayed onto the bottom of the pistons?
I went from PMRs to factory forged after finding a complete donor engine since the first set from E-rape had one with the wrong cap and one that was bent. The two replacements had small ends that would require taking 20-22 g's off to be able to hit the target weight. The replacement "matching" set from the donor engine had very few grams removed to hit the new target weight for this set.

Since the set was out of a different engine I couldn't check what the "over balance" was with these rods. Didn't want to pay to check what the PMRs were balanced at. I thought about what David's question is getting at but decided to go zero balance. If funds and time had allowed I would have checked the PMR balance and tried to lighten the oil compensation but not omit if there was one just because lighter is better right?

David have you done this research? And are you saying that the oil is why you think these engines are balanced the way they are from the factory?

BTW....my ole lady says thanks for sharing the napkin.

2001 F-250 handshaker
Stealth HPOPs
Alliant ACs
Forged rods with other junk to make it work

Thanks to TDP, BDP, RDS, PHP and TDGrp
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
CtG
PSN Veteran

I can't imagine there'd be a way to evenly account for the cooling oil? I'd think a different amount would probably accumulate on each slug, depending on conditions....
Or else it equals out somehow.... Never really thought about it. Huh.
Interesting though that a 12,500RPM 4-cylinder with oil cooling ends up spinning buttery smooth all the way up to redline....

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Quote:
Interested to learn more on this subject esp as it relates to factory balance.

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode