Rod Swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Just A Squirrel

Rod Swap

Thinking of takin the next step! Turbo,Big Oil and injectors, and was wondering if anyone has swapped PMR's for forged rods, I was just looking at DI and saw the remaned rods and was wondering how big of a job the rod swap would be, Driveway?? I have many tools, or are specialized tools required??? Thanks for your time

Darrin Struble
2003 F-350XLT Sport SC/SB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.3L Live tuned by Jody ,ITP reg return/intank prepump mods, MBRP S.S. 4" ,afe stage1,foil delete,WW, Dieselsite coolant/trans filters,turbomaster wastegate controller,FTVB,Bandwagon Badges
1956 f100 Heidts Suspension all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Drink til she's cute

Re: Rod Swap

Open heart surgery for your rig!

2008 F-250: High Powers / Dual K16 / 60% Nozzles
ELITE
NO LIMIT
SWAMPS
GEARHEAD
INNOVATIVE
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Just A Squirrel

thats what i figured, almost better off getting a new shortblock with forged rods?? Or sticking with what i got and pushing the envelope a little further??

Darrin Struble
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.3L Live tuned by Jody ,ITP reg return/intank prepump mods, MBRP S.S. 4" ,afe stage1,foil delete,WW, Dieselsite coolant/trans filters,turbomaster wastegate controller,FTVB,Bandwagon Badges

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM

You're not really pushing the evelope right now IMO.

I don't think there is such thing as just a rod swap. I think if you're going to tear into it you need to do everything. New rings, bearings, measure mains caps to make sure they sit level, line bore, balance, valve train, etc.

BUT, there have been those who have done it, just swapping the rods and I'm sure it's possible.
Not a driveway job though, entails removing the engine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Just A Squirrel

Lookin into upadating the fuel system with a FASS and regulated return kit, is this the logical next step to making more power without the fear of losing a PMR? I understand completely the pay to play thing but i dont want to be toying with disaster?? Thnx for the replies!

Darrin Struble

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 PM
dag
who the what?

I would say with the mods you have, a reg return and pump will not gain you any real hp.

Those mods are more of a 'supporting mod' to help you when you have larger injectors and the such. It will quiet the engine down some though, and since you want to go with more hp, yes, it is logical to do the fuel system. But I would say you have enough fuel to power what you got now, and even with a fuel system, you still wouldn't be pushing your PMR's...

02 F350 PSD Lariat CC

Guages, DI chip, TNBB air, AC's, 4in exhaust, big filter, fuel filter gone with a reg return, 4 inch leveling kit to fit 315 BFG's, other stuff.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 AM

Right, fuel isn't going to make more HP, just support it.

I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 400 or a bit less on a bone stock fuel system. Haven't checked pressures though, need to.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Subject Matter Expert

This is exactly what i'm planning on doing... I have a PMR engine and fear the rods. Before i mod it and blow it up, i'd sooner pull it, and change the rods. I found a GREAT deal on ebay i couldnt pass up, 8 forged rods, 8 coated (top and sides) pistons, new push rods, and amazingly a custom grind cam. This is about all i would heed in the bottom end except maybe main studs, and coated bearings as well. Once i get my Terminator, i'll save up for head studs, valve springs, and bore/hone the engine. Once i have the parts, i plan on getting the engine balanced, and then swapping out the old stuff for the new stuff. Break in the engine a little bit with stock injectors, and do like JW did, swap in big injectors in the future when i recoup my $$.

Side note- just wondering what, if any, tuning changes need to be done for a custom ground camshaft?

Stock
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:57 PM

I'd make sure of what that custom cam is. Many have tried "custom grinds" and have ended up pulling the engine to pull the cam and go back to stock.

DI's is the only one I know of working properly. If you can't garauntee it to be a DI cam, I wouldn't use it.

JMHO though, trying to save you some headache.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Yeah thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure im using it, but i will have it degreed, compare it to stock and see what it is. The guy said it was comparable to a Hypermax cam, however a "just a little bit bigger".

Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode