Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 crankcase full of diesel fuel....help!!

10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  cjfisher 
#1 ·
new here couldnt find exact place to post but......I have 2001 7.3 211,000 miles stock.....yesterday driving 70 mph 8ft flames and oil shot out exhaust smoked up the entire 4 lane freeway.....checked oil it is way way overfull and will not start....any ideas.....i did here a very loud pop under the hood when it happened

#2 ·
It's been awhile but only place diesel would contact oil would be bad injector o rings I believe. Again it's been awhile but that's what I would suspect that. Also probably why it wont start the diesel isnt getting compressed as much as the high pressure oil to start it. Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Engine off key on. No oil pressure but the fuel leaking into the oil passages. That would be my guess.

#5 ·
It could still be the injector O rings. However that is a lot of fuel to come from the O rings

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Kuality,

I have read a couple of posts here that recommend you pull the lid off the fuel filter and check for oil in the fuel filter and fuel filter housing. As Junkie points out - this is an indication that the seals between the fuel and oil sides of the rail are leaking. I'm not sure as to the "how" you are getting fuel down in the oil. How long since your last oil change? Dead cylinder washing down past the rings? If your truck were older (1997) I'd say look at the lifter pump in the valley. Is there fuel in the coolant?
Kyle may be on to something as well... fuel leaking into the oil rail when the electric fuel pump comes on just before you start the truck when there is no pressure on the oil side. Well just a few thoughts.

Cj

#8 ·
Right my thought was maybe this has been happening for a long time and it now diluted the oil enough to cause a no start.

#9 ·
Kyle,

Yea... me too - which is why I asked the question about the OP's last oil change. At this point I'd pull all the injectors and boroscope all the cylinders to check for damage too. Pops and Bangs generally make me think something bad has happened. Granted... an 8 foot tongue of flame out the tail pipe would do that too. Hmm... I wonder if you could have a seal leak in one direction aka fuel to oil, but once the oil pressure comes up the higher pressure oil then "reseals" the o-ring.

Cj

#10 ·
How did we get to fuel in the oil? Any chance it's coolant? Does it have any coolant in the reservoir? Is the oil on the dipstick milky?

Say it won't start, does it spin but not start? Or not spin at all?

From the info given it could be anything from a failed injector to a broken rod......

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
latest is we were broke on 71 south cincinnati i had him get it started eventually it did...made .25 yes .25 miles no flames lots a smoke died again....towed it home yesterday checked oil NONE pulled intake off turbo.......Turbo 1/2 inch end play....obviously shot and sucked crankcase dry....3 months ago we took cab off replaced up pipes manifolds and added 4 inch turbo back i checked turbo it had no slop my first thoufgths are injector or 2 died shot fuel in crankcase and thus burned up turbo with diluted oil havent pulled valve covers yet hope to find where the big bang came from

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.