Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cylinder head porting advice

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  devilman 
#1 ·
I finally got the motor out of my 97 F250 and sense the cylinder heads are coming off I will be doing some port and polish work to them. My plan was to at least clean up any casting marks and port match the exhaust ports. Is there any major spots I should do? I haven't been able to find much information on detailed porting/polishing on our cylinder heads so I am looking for any good information I can get. Any input is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Porting and polishing is primary a gas engine thing where you have a intake where the gas atomizes and mixes with the air before going into the cylinders. With a direct injected diesel all you really need to worry about is the air and with it under pressure I wouldn't worry about it.

I also don't think that you will get much advantage with cleaning up the exhaust ports if you figure the time vs the benefit.

#3 ·
That's somewhat true. The difference will be significantly less on a boosted engine. That said, it still helps airflow, so it'll help. Primarily it's a naturally asperated thing though. Highly doubt the difference would even be noticable.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with it.

#4 ·
I know on a mild 7.3 the cylinder head porting/polishing is generally considered a waste of time or $ but at what power level does it start to help or become beneficial? Mine won't be anything to crazy but has 250cc hybrids running a S369SXE so it should make 550+rwhp on fuel only. Eventually it will also get meth injection along with a 75-100 shot of nitrous. I figured the polishing would net little to no gains but I figured some port work would be beneficial to allow for more air flow? Or are these heads just sufficient enough for 600+rwhp as they sit?

#5 ·
I thought it was worth while enough to pay Swamps to do it. My understanding is that at low boost levels is where it helps in a street / tow engine.

For me I see it as an efficiency mod not an all out power mod. I want the sweetest all around combo of power, driveability and mileage. Which is a different thing for every person.

Also waaaay back Swamps did a dyno mule engine project changing one item at a time and dyno the results. They also ran the engine NA just for fun. As I recall there was a measurable increase on NA and turbo'd testing.

Call Swamps and discuss it with Johnny if you can get him on the phone.

#6 ·
Swamps just posted some 7.3 portwork photos on Facebook....

#7 ·
anything under 600-650rwhp..stock heads and cam are more than adequate

No porting and keeping the stock cam is often recommended on 'street' trucks...since the loss of swirl/turbulence of ported heads results in low/off boost excess smoke.

if you're goals are legit 700+rwhp...head porting is a must (unless NO2)

750+ you'll benefit from head work and cam

much over 1000-1100 and you'll need to forget about running coolant in your heads.

#8 ·
Any engine, diesel or gas NA or power adder will benefit from bowl work and knocking casting flash off the runners. A cam and porting the heads is never a waste of money imho. Think about the designers when they built the 7.3, workhorse longevity and emissions was their concern not performance, so optimizing the cam profile with flow #'s of the ported/worked heads and towards performance is definitely beneficial.

OP if you've got the tools and the time get after it! I'd advise studying up on porting and head flow and NOT go hog wild carving out a ton lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.