Upgraded trans cooler...with fan? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Upgraded trans cooler...with fan?

I need to improve my trans cooling. I have a gauge in the test port and watch it regularly. I don't mind pulling over on long climbs now and then, but i've been towing on a lot of slow dirt roads and driving with the TC slipping gets hot *really* fast, even on level ground.

Plenty of options out there for a trans cooler but I don't see many with a fan. I was thinking an electric fan would be good since my biggest concern is with low-speed driving.

Will the sheer size of an upgraded cooler be adequate even at low speed, or should I keep hunting for a fan?

This thread talks about using an electric cooler for slow-speed driving, and kinda makes it sound unnecessary, but isn't totally clear on that.

Is there space to replace the factory air-to-oil cooler with the Mishimoto plate cooler, and then put a fan in front of it?

Jerud
1999.5 F-250 longbed supercab
220k miles, second owner
Bone stock (and happy) except for HPX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:16 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Upgraded trans cooler...with fan?

Diesel site has one
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:03 PM
PSN Newb

I had a B&M fluid cooler with a fan, it wasnít enough. I ended up changing to a 6.0 cooler. I wished I had not wasted my money on the B&M. The 6.0 coolers work very well. There is a reason why everyone upgrades to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E99 SCSB AFE stage 2, 4" turbo back exhaust, 140 v IDM mod, Hutch and Harpoon, DP tuner, Gauges, Firestone Air bags, 305 BFG all terrains, 08 rear diff cover.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:44 PM
Project Shamu

Just be sure to mount it somewhere in front of the Ac-condenser and the engine fan will pull air through it for you.

I've pulled 13,000lbs through the mountains and never seen trans temp over 180*. And mine is mounted behind the bumper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
Just be sure to mount it somewhere in front of the Ac-condenser and the engine fan will pull air through it for you.

I've pulled 13,000lbs through the mountains and never seen trans temp over 180*. And mine is mounted behind the bumper.
If it were just mountain highways, I'd already have ordered the 6.0 cooler. Even pulling a steep pass, the engine is working so hard that the fan is running and the truck is making headway at least 30mph even if the fan isn't turning. But after just a couple miles of dead level, flat, bumpy dirt roads at 15 mph in near-freezing temps, my trans is breaking 200*. Understand that by "bumpy" i don't just mean "gravel road", i mean rocks and stuff. I'm keeping the speed low to avoid tossing everything in the truck and trailer, so it isn't moving forward fast enough to move much air thru the radiator and the fan clutch isn't locking so there's very little cooling going on.

What about a deeper pan? Does that do anything except look cool and snag on rocks (no lift kit on my truck)?

Jerud
1999.5 F-250 longbed supercab
220k miles, second owner
Bone stock (and happy) except for HPX
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Project Shamu

The deeper pan is a common debate that nobody proves or disproves. I personally dont run one.

If your worried about airflow at lower speeds, maybe a 6.0 fan with a new fan clutch? It helped me immensely.

I just dont like too many fans, especially if at high speed they are going to restrict airflow and cause problems then.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:03 AM
PSN Local

I just put a Hayden 679 on mine in the front grill and really didn't see that much of a difference maybe 6 or 7 degrees lower. I to wish I had just put the money on a 6.0 cooler.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
The deeper pan is a common debate that nobody proves or disproves. I personally dont run one.

If your worried about airflow at lower speeds, maybe a 6.0 fan with a new fan clutch? It helped me immensely.

I just dont like too many fans, especially if at high speed they are going to restrict airflow and cause problems then.

You could add your own fan to a 6.0 cooler. I have bulled 6000lb on slow dirt roads in the mountains of Colorado and donít see over 175 temps on my truck with a 6.0 cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
If it were just mountain highways, I'd already have ordered the 6.0 cooler. Even pulling a steep pass, the engine is working so hard that the fan is running and the truck is making headway at least 30mph even if the fan isn't turning. But after just a couple miles of dead level, flat, bumpy dirt roads at 15 mph in near-freezing temps, my trans is breaking 200*. Understand that by "bumpy" i don't just mean "gravel road", i mean rocks and stuff. I'm keeping the speed low to avoid tossing everything in the truck and trailer, so it isn't moving forward fast enough to move much air thru the radiator and the fan clutch isn't locking so there's very little cooling going on.

What about a deeper pan? Does that do anything except look cool and snag on rocks (no lift kit on my truck)?
200į trans fluid is not an issue but to lower fluid temp, you need to replace your stock OTA cooler with a 6.0 OTA cooler. The OE cooling fan on your truck will move more air when unlocked than an electric fan will move.

If that doesn't solve your cooling issue, the next step is to replace your radiator with a later model radiator that has an OTW cooler in it. Then you run your fluid in a series thru the OTW and the OTA cooler.

A deeper pan will not be any help.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Just out of curiosity, when you're crawling around slow over rough stuff, are you pulling the shifter down to 1st gear?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in