Complete Revamp Interior, Panels, Custom Console, and DIY - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Complete Revamp Interior, Panels, Custom Console, and DIY

Well it's about time I posted this bad boy. Since yall are being so helpful on another post of mine I figured id help or maybe inspire someone to do their truck interior.

So i have a 2002 F250 7.3 Currently waiting for the 2016 Front End conversion and possibly a new HPOP we shall see if it can be fixed. But i purchased it with the intention of building to be a new style truck and keep that amazing 7.3.

Took me about 2 weeks to do this build. That's pulling the dash, building the brackets for the steering column, wiring, installing an HVAC system, Doing everything with the door panels, and then using an Expedition to make custom mounts and build a center console with a built-in wireless Bluetooth charging stations. While doing this i also configured all of the Flip switches and did the gauge build that everyone is paying someone for but should do themselves cause it's easy and i will give it away for free because well this is a community of people doing #### and helping other. So without any more here is pics and crap, any questions ask ill answer nice and not condescending because I had no idea what I was doing so I shouldn't expect others to.

So here is a picture of the original set up i have. If you have a 99-03 than you already know becasue well you see it everyday. But there was nothing wrong with it, everything worked just fine, it was just blah. But, the upgrade isnt hard, it shouldnt be scary because if i can do it. Anyone can.

So by the time I got here, I had already watched a video on youtube to get it out which everyone has done so i didnt really include that. But I pulled off the dash with complete disregard for saving anything except bolts. Deff Saved Bolts. Undid any clips that looked important, set wiring aside and undid the subframe thingy bolts (very technical terms). I pulled out the frame, tossed it aside and didnt realize that the shifter cable was attached to it. I snapped the plastic tube on it and pretty much at that point your shifter is done. I call my local part guy and he had one $20 later and i was shifting again. Got back and pulled off the HVAC system.

Here is installing the cooling conversion piece from mcnasty. Its super easy, he give you the diagram and you can do it in seconds. My only big gripe with his kit is its folded metal and spot weld. I would pay more to have a fully tig shut system so i dont have to use two rolls of tape sealing it. But hey what do i know.

Had to build new brackets for the steering column debated doing the new one but didnt want to build the relays and didnt have time. I painted the frame with rust prevention and than flat black just so idk actually why but i did it so suck it up.

Yea i know you got a semi right now looking at that wheel cover but settle down.

Frame is in, duct work is done, and now im just making sure everything reaches. One thing i found out acting like a bomb technician on this part was that your ac system has a bunch of colored wires. Those wires arent important except for one that goes to the solenoid which will open your vent from window defrost to in your face. I used a popsicle for 5 mins till i found the spare wire by blowing into it like i was doing a field sobriety test. So finaly i got it all set and fancy time for the front of the dash to go in so i can feel like my life has meaning.

So I got it installed tho, Frame just goes in easy butttttttttt there are a ton of wires and everything in the way so just go slow and make sure you're moving the wires around to avoid a pinch or short. My neighbors rushed out half way thru because I kept getting stuck on the wire loom and the frame not matching up. I think they thought I was either beating the crap out of a hooker or had a disease cause I gave that dash every word in the book till she fits in. Here is the dash in and bolted up.

That fuse panel hanging down sucked to relocate and also cause me a problem. So the brake pedal is held in by a wire. If you pull it out, I would suggest you put it back in. There is nothing more exciting than going thru a yellow light and your brake pedal just going past the pivot but I don't wanna see anyone get hurt. My pin was yellow and I still missed it.

I drove it somewhere idk why but i did. Oh yea the door panels are in ill find pics of that or i wont idk but here is another pic of the dash in. That red light is the lightbar that i didnt install yet but its gonna be in the switch panel later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Complete Revamp Interior, Panels, Custom Console, and DIY

So now its back in I took it around the block for a few days. I had been searching for a center console for this truck for a bit of time. But, because everyone who is selling one is a self-righteous ass and wants stupid money for them I decided id goto my local LKQ and take one from an Expedition. The unit was $34 and after so slight negotiating it went right in.

So as you can tell by that super great looking center console I needed to downgrade.

So I picked up the center console and just placed it there to head home with plans to do it that night. I ended up starting the next day but here is the pic of the way home.

So i started by cutting down the front end of it. I wanted to get it so it would mount flush like the factory set up and look clean. I cut off everything measuring 3 inchs in from the panel and just using the same angle.

Next was i had to figure out a way to mount it to the floor since i dont have factory spots for it i built the brackets using flat stock. All i did was figure out two flat areas inside so i could mount to the side wall and then just go into the floor. The Panels do raise it off the ground about 1/4 of a inch but with carpet i figured id only leave 1/8 of an inch hanging and just bolt it so it would suck into the floor. I laid the metal down then made a line where i needed to bend it then cut another 1.5 inch from there to figure out how much material.

Safety first drilling the holes, and bending it. The vise was shaking so hard i held the piece with my hand as i drilled it. Only got hot metal on me 13 times so i think that was a job well done. But it worked and idc.

Test fit it in place and made sure it would secure and used bolts with lock nuts to hold it in place.

I figured with maths that the bar would flex, the plastic would flex, and no way betty sue can put all her weight on it when were driving down a back road if its rocking hard then she does. So i got nylon spacers and put them in and measured to get a long enough bolt.

So the holes are drilled and everything set up on the unit.

Next just comes marking the carpet and drilling the holes. I learned while doing this part that drillbits love carpet and sound dead material more than a starved for attention college girl loves her "daddy". You cant tell in the pic but the area where the hole is had more waves then 80s hair style.

I also realized the top cover wouldnt fit smooth and i had to cut part of the dash, i held my thumb up like a art major and determined the perfect cut.

Here is a picture all mounted in place, just starting the second half of giving it power and love.

I had to take a lunch break to really figure out who i was as a person and who i wanted to be, Panda Express seemed correct.

So the center console i got the guy had put a metal piece over what i assume was the shifter cover and it looked like walmart at 2am i mean just pure trashy. So i used some plastic i had from another project to cut the spot and jb weld it in place. Once i started that thinking this would be cool to place my phone i decided "Hell if i put my phone here it better charge it or else i dont even want this truck" so now i had to install bluetooth charging in the location.

Took apart a wirless charger and jb weld that in place so i have the ability to charge.

Lastly i need power, so this had to be creative using a 12volt power source, 12volt to usb, a usb charger, and all work with the factory uplifter switches that never came with this truck. After playing with a 12v battery and nipple clamps and feeling like i was about to interegate someone i figured out using the stock loom the hot, ground, and switch feeds. I spliced power from the roof lights into the hot so the switches only work when truck is on since I always forget. Then i put power to all the switches, and tied the light bar, radar, and power for usb charger into 1,3,4 switch and then ground them all to the fire wall using a single cable.

I got it all put in and working, Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture cause i pulled the gauge cluster to redesign and upgrade that. Well it turns out if you pull the cluster with daytime running it'll turn your lights on for you and leave them. So i came out and my battery was dead, jumped it, dead, jumped it again, dead, Finally got it working for more than a few hours and figured i had a short also. Tore apart everything truck still died and now needed two cars to jump it. Well i figured out a battery shorted and killed the other battery. I went got two new batteries and then tested the truck for 2 days before i put it all back together.

So it has a bezel ill take a pic tomorrow to post but it looks good fits great. The only thing i hate is the lid is gray and the brushed aluminum. So im gonna have the whole center, dash center, door pieces and vents wrapped in wood, and the gray lether im having taken off and a custom black leather one made for it so itll be black like everything else. Also if any one wants to see how all the pillar trim went in i can show that also since that was upgraded to 2012 stuff. The doors are 08 same with dash, the center console is 06 expedition i believe.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here is a preview of tomorrow or when ever i write it but the gauge cluster was done still in progress but enough that it works and functions and sure as #### didnt cost me a rediculous $1500 to have done. When i show that ill show solder points and can give the schematic so if anyone wants to wire into the factory plugs they can or the can just build crossover wires.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 PM
PSN intsigator

That was quite the undertaking, looks good

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:33 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydoc View Post
That was quite the undertaking, looks good
ditto

1999.5 F350 CC 4x4
& 2002 F250 CC 4x2 (Wifes)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Ford Man

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Wood's Powerstroke
Cool Re: Complete Revamp Interior, Panels, Custom Console, and DIY

"I had been searching for a center console for this truck for a bit of time. But, because everyone who is selling one is a self-righteous ass and wants stupid money for them I decided id goto my local LKQ and take one from an Expedition."

Amen!

Great job, sir. I think you are being modest in describing your fabrication skill set. No way do I have the ability to successfully complete a conversion like this. The DIY console you made is way cool.

Wood's 7.3
Old School Strokin'
2001 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4X4 Off-Road, Crew-Cab, SB, AT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:40 PM
PSN Local

That is way to awesome. Great write up. You must have a lot of patience. Thanks for posting. This is why I love these forums.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:55 AM
PSN Newb

This is exactly what I want to do to mine as well. Thanks for the great write-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode