Fuel pressure with 2 superduty pumps - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sbluke55
  • 2 Post By Calico5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
"Slick"

Fuel pressure with 2 superduty pumps

I have a purest ion about fuel pressure. I’m running 2 superduty pumps with my custom regulated system on my 94.5, the regulator I’m using is a fass fuel with 1/8” boost port. My fuel pressure at idol/easy driving stays right around 70psi, but when I stand on it the pressure will rise to 85-90 psi. I’m running rosewood 160/80 injectors. So I guess my question is, What fuel regulators are the rest of you running, and
how are your fuel pressures with 2 pumps. Thanks

95 f350 xlt 7.3l, 160/80 injectors, gtp38r, 6.0 intercooler, adrenalin hpop, super duty fuel pump Regulated return. DP tuner tunes. 4" exhaust. South bend street dual disc clutch. Aeroforce scan gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:44 AM
POWERSTROKEMIKE

Re: Fuel pressure with 2 superduty pumps

i have much bigger inj. using two pumps one into each head then out to the reg back to the tank.. holds 62 all day long.. not using boost ref.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
"Slick"

Ok, my pumps are in series. What regulator are you using?

95 f350 xlt 7.3l, 160/80 injectors, gtp38r, 6.0 intercooler, adrenalin hpop, super duty fuel pump Regulated return. DP tuner tunes. 4" exhaust. South bend street dual disc clutch. Aeroforce scan gauge.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM

1 pump will keep up with those injectors. Dual pumps should be ran parallel if you do run them. Like said above are you using the boost reference on the regulator? If so Iím hook it.
masakimm likes this.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick1988 View Post
Ok, my pumps are in series.

You're pumps are plumbed wrong...

You want them in PARALLEL, i.e. both suction sides hooked together (sucking from tank); both discharge sides hooked together, pushing to the heads. The idea is to increase the VOLUME of fuel available (each pump moves "X" gallons per minute). The pressure regulator will limit the pressure to your set-point.

In series, you're not getting any GPM increase... maybe just the potential for pressure increase, but NO increase in volume.

Think of it like two D-cell batteries in a flashlight: Each one is 1.5 volts, and say, 2 amps capacity. When in series (end-to-end) you get 3 volts, but still only 2 amps. When in parallel (side-by-side), you only get the 1.5 volts, but now have 4 amps capacity.

Make sense?

BTW, I'm using an Aeromotive A1000 in my setup. No boost-sense line. Holds 65 psi, idle to full-load WOT.

~Al
79jasper and masakimm like this.

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; Turbine Jacket; Banks IC, BanksBrake
Melling LPOP, External Oil Cooler & Filter System
Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP,
Swamps 160/30's, HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5
Full R-R Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Rad & Tank; 4" Exhaust, Twin Aussie Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
"Slick"

Ok, so would this be the correct way to plumb these fuel pumps? Also is there a reason why your not using the boost port on your fuel regulator?.... while we’re on the subject of the fuel system. where the fuel lines to into the back of the head, are there check valves right there? If so do you need them? My old steel lines need to be replaced, was just going to get the corect fittings with a barbed end to use rubber hose instead of the steel lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C6C36F42-B647-4A78-9059-F96DAB58D5D6_1548099872359.jpeg (106.9 KB, 27 views)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 PM

I canít see the pic. But this is how it should go.

The boost reference is primarily for gas engines. It ramps up fuel pressure when you get boost to prevent a lean condition. The injectors are usually tuned to run at a fixed pressure and open up for ďxĒ amount of time. You increase pressure you increase fuel delivery. With the 7.3 the fuel pressure doesnít control the fuel delivery so no need to ramp it up.

You do not need to have those checks in the head as they are a restriction. You can drill them out or replace them. The threads in the head are 1/8Ē npt. Do not over tighten them or you can break off a chunk of the head and have to replace the whole head.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
"Slick"

Thanks sbluke. That picture is the exact same one I sent you. Well that answers all my questions. 🍻 cheers

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:45 AM
shade tree mechanic

i run 1 stock sd pump with 125k miles on it now. full force diesel 205/30% inj's and at 30 psi it holds 58 psi rock solid, 62 psi at idle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode