SCT tuner custom tunes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

SCT tuner custom tunes

Hey everyone been awhile since I've been on here. I have a 01 7.3 that's completely stock I'm looking at getting a tuner to help out with towing. I talked to a guy I know and he suggested a SCT with a custom tune by a guy named Matt at gearhead in Texas? I'm not looking to drag race or roll coal I just want something that is going to be reliable and not put my motor in jeopardy of breaking down I've heard horror stories of trucks burning pistons and messing up the computer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
alleged moderator

Re: SCT tuner custom tunes

Matt at gearhead has a good reputation. i would go with a chip over the tuner though, with a chip like the PHP hydra, you can switch tunes on the fly, and download the tunes via computer to try the tune before buying it. . with a SCT tuner like the X4 you have to shut the engine off, restore to stock, then load the new tune into the computer. this can take up to 20 minutes compared to the second it takes to let off throttle, push the button to swtich tune, and stomp on it in new tune.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok the only reason I was leaning towards the SCT is cause I live in the Nazi dictatorship state AKA California, I still have to smog my truck I've heard the chips can be more of a pain to deal with than the programmer. I appreciate the information thank you

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:06 PM
alleged moderator

i am in the nazi youth state of Nu Joisey. so i feel your pain.
at least here diesels are self inspecting if registered between 10,000 and 26,000 lbs.
the nice thing about a chip is you can pop it into stock tune before going for the smog test, then pop it back into your favorite tune as you pull out.
with a tuner you have to shut down and reset to stock.
then once smogged shut down and reset to your tune of choice. with a chip both resets will take 2 seconds. with a tuner it could take 45 minutes to an hour.

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Gotcha I'll look into the Hydra chip, any advice on who to get it from?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 AM
alleged moderator

i tend to deal with Riffraff Diesel.
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/php-hydra-chip/
Clay and staff are goos people that take care of their customers.
you can get the hydra from them, then contact whoever you want to buy custom tunes. you download the tune to the hydra from an email file and try it for a few days and decide if you like it before buying.
i personally deal with DP Tuner, because i know the owners. but Jody does not write tunes for the hydra, he has his own line of similar chips and controllers
a lot of people swear by Matt at Gearhead tuners.
https://www.ghtuning.com/product/php-hydra/
Gearhead has both the hydra, and tunes. the hydra is the same price as Riffraff sells for, so it would probably just be easier to buy from Gearhead as a package deal.
there are 5 or 6 good tune writers out there, each having their own following.

tom

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Perfect thanks for all the information I appreciate it
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 AM
PSN Local

hey buddy, I had the same question when I went with a chip for my single shots. I went with a TS chip because I couldn't get a confirmed answer on the hydra but with the switch unplugged, removed from the cab and the chip still installed, the TS chip defaults to program 1 which, in my case, is the stock tune. after I leave the smog shop I reinstall the switch and im good to go. if you don't have a need for multiple tunes and you still have the split shots, ive got a single position chip with a tow tune on it that I done need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode