"Capability" Upgrades for towing about 11k Lbs. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

"Capability" Upgrades for towing about 11k Lbs.

I'm investigating "gauges" via a monitor rather than individual gauges and an additional tranny cooler also seems appropriate.

But with all the options and "blustery commentary" by aftermarket resellers, I'd like to get the opinion of those on this forum who have actually installed (or had installed) these options, what's the weight and size of the load they tow and what have they experienced.

My interest is to upgrade my 1999 7.3 to attach an 8,000 to 9,000 mile journey from San Diego to Alaska this coming summer. The terrain will very greatly from highways to mountainous areas.

1999 F350 with a 7.3 PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:21 PM
alleged moderator

Re: "Capability" Upgrades for towing about 11k Lbs.

a tablet with torque pro app loaded on it works very well for monitoring things.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
a tablet with torque pro app loaded on it works very well for monitoring things.
"torque pro app" I'll check this one out.

TKs.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 PM
PSN Local

I have the Torque app on my phone I put on a phone holder that I mount in the corner of my windshield. You need a bluetooth ob2 dongle I bought mine off Amazon for $20. Make sure you purchase the app you can get more selections to choose from. My only problem is I can't get EGT or coolant temp readings could be my dongle. I use tranny temp, boost and oil temperature my truck is stock so I don't have to worry about monitoring EGTs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

you cant get readings that the truck does not have sensors for.
there is no EGT or coolant temp in the PCM, PCM reads oil temp rather then coolant
get a pyro and learn to drive by it. that advice changed how I drive a bit, more rpm is less EGT, low rpm while pulling is damaging

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 AM
alleged moderator

my older trucks will read coolant temp but not oil temp.
th 02 diesel, will read oil and trans temp, the 04 5.4 powered truck will only read trans temp.
the 2011 and newer 6.2 and 6.7 trucks will read everything except EGT.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM
PSN Local

an old friend of mine purchased a scan-gauge to troubleshoot a bad oil cooler in his 6.0 and absolutely loved it. it plugs right into his OBD2 port and fit perfectly into the space below the a/c knobs (where the newer trucks have the upfitter switches). he still uses it to monitor things while pulling. I don't believe you can monitor EGT with it though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
my older trucks will read coolant temp but not oil temp..
what is older? there is no input for coolant temp to the PCM in an OBS, so even if the software is displaying a number as 'coolant temp' it is not getting that number from the coolant temp on the engine.
I dont have a SD 7.3 here to look at but I would guess they are the same as I dont recall having to add a sensor to run the SD pcm on an OBS

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode