Aftermarket fuel system heater. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Aftermarket fuel system heater.

I recently installed the sinister regulated return fuel system on my 01 7.3L and it's starting to get cold, started having cold start issues. I realized its because when I installed the new system, I also deleted the OEM fuel bowl and fuel heater inside the housing, has anyone found an aftermarket heating system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Aftermarket fuel system heater.

So what I did was used wix fuel manager filter assemblies WIX Filters - 24912 Heavy Duty Fuel Manager Assembly with a WIX Filters - 24922 Heavy Duty Heater Kit. I have 2 of these filters in my system one is 30 microns and the outer is finish filter 2 to 5 microns. So far I have not had any troubles with just the one but I can add a second heater element if I need to.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:46 PM
alleged moderator

how cold does it get where you are? i have not had fuel bowl heaters on any of my trucks in forever and have never had any problems with fuel gelling down to -10 degrees.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
It's been down to low 20s, but ya ever since I installed it she wont start when its below 40 without tryin to start 2 or 3 times but today was in the 20s and took a good 5 minutes to get started. Glow plugs work, engine has never been chipped or programmed. My block heater is bad and I haven't ordered one yet.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
[QUOTE=masakimm;6145043]So what I did was used wix fuel manager filter assemblies WIX Filters - 24912 Heavy Duty Fuel Manager Assembly with a WIX Filters - 24922 Heavy Duty Heater Kit. I have 2 of these filters in my system one is 30 microns and the outer is finish filter 2 to 5 microns. So far I have not had any troubles with just the one but I can add a second heater element if I need to.
Where did you mount your filters, and what fuel pressure are you running? With my regulator I am running 65-70psi.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:09 AM
alleged moderator

how do you know the glow plugs are working??? if you are going by the Wait To Start light in the dash, that is just an idiot light that will come on whether the glow plugs are working or not.
i put a small light bulb or led in the dash connected to the output of the glow plug relay to see if the relay is working or not. the WTS in the dash comes on for around 15 seconds and then goes out. the led will stay lit for up to 3 minutes depending on outside temperature showing power is going to the glow plugs.
mt bet is your glow plug relay has failed and the glow plugs are not working.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

I bet at least a few GPS are bad.
I had the filters mounted outboard of the frame rail, seen below 0 myself quite a bit. Never a problem.
Before the efuel, I had the heater unplugged for a long time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
I have a Snap-on diagnostic tool, and I have ran a glow plug relay test and they are new plugs, I just didnt test them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:11 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Mine is mounted inboard just in front of the front tank. there is pics in my build thread link in my sig below. I have a metal custom rear tank and I had some gelling issues in the past is the only reason I added a heater it only runs if the fuel is below a certain temp. Are the glow plugs motorcraft if not They have probably started failing. if the glow plugs are working then the engine should fire. I mean my heater takes a while before the heated fuel gets to the injectors. and once the motor is running it will heat the fuel in the block and send warm fuel back to the tank to warm the tank. so the heater is just incase not even used once the engine runs for a little bit. that and it takes a while to heat 40 gallons.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
No they are not motorcraft, when I ordered then they only had autolite left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode